Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2007, 10:32 AM

Default Ask me anything about ACL surgery/recovery

So I got some good advice from people on this forum when it happened last year, so I figured I'd do this. Just as a little back story, I tore my ACL last December in a football game and had reconstructive knee surgery in January this year. I've been through rehab for about 3 1/2 months, and I'm at the point now where I only have a bit to go before being back at full speed where I was prior to tearing the ACL.

I'm pretty much here in front of my computer the rest of the day, so ask me anything about the surgery, injury, rehab, or getting back to playing afterwards...

Mods - I didn't necessarily think this should be in health/fitness, but if this belongs in that forum, please feel free to move.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:18 PM

Default Re: Ask me anything about ACL surgery/recovery

From where did they take your graft?
Old 04-25-2007, 06:30 PM

I sprained my ankle last year and had to wear a $300 brace for around 4 weeks. It really helped the healing process. I have to say that its still uneasy and I tend to turn it now and then (especially if I wear low cut shoes). (I did not have a full tear hence no surgery)

This leads me too....

Three Part Question:

Have you experienced a twisting or re-spraining since your initial injury?

Has this prevented you from drinking alcohol in excess?

Has this injury prevented you from hitting on girls in dive bars, pool halls, or clubs?

fyc
[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-25-2007, 09:38 PM

ONLY the ACL? Wimp.

Theraphy sucks, doesn't it? I went back to the hospital twice to break down scar tissue as well.

But train tracks are sexy....

Hope the recovery comes fully for you. I won't be a downer right now about some of the fun you get to look forward to.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
\I've been through rehab for about 3 1/2 months, and I'm at the point now where I only have a bit to go before being back at full speed where I was prior to tearing the ACL.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm an Athletic Trainer and the earliest I've EVER gotten a football player (skill position) back to practicing full is 5.5 months, and he wasn't "really" back in shape for another two. I'm curious what you call "full speed."
Old 04-25-2007, 09:55 PM

Location: tell them ill be here when they come 4 me, me and every single n1gga dat got love 4 me, see i got money on my mind, but the haters wont leave me alone, so im ridin everyday wit every pistol dat i own

gl man, i had it done last year. hamstring grafts. sucks but im back 100% now
Old 04-26-2007, 12:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
From where did they take your graft?

[/ QUOTE ]

Graft was taken from the patella tendon so I have a nice wicked scar on the front of my left knee.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Have you experienced a twisting or re-spraining since your initial injury?

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't been back on the playing field yet, so nothing like that. I did rush therapy a bit and got a case of tendinitis in my patella tendon, which pushed things back a little

[ QUOTE ]

Has this prevented you from drinking alcohol in excess?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I didn't drink for the first week or so since I was on painkillers but I have gotten very drunk since the surgery.

[ QUOTE ]

Has this injury prevented you from hitting on girls in dive bars, pool halls, or clubs?

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, the opposite when I was in a brace. When I wore the brace out to the bar, girls would come up to me to ask what happened, giving me an easy in. When I have gone to the bar with no brace, I notice no difference. The only big difference is that I can't dance, but I couldn't dance before, and I don't meet chicks while dancing anyways.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]

ONLY the ACL? Wimp.

Theraphy sucks, doesn't it? I went back to the hospital twice to break down scar tissue as well.

But train tracks are sexy....

[/ QUOTE ]

Well ACL and both lateral and medial meniscus, but those 2 are pretty standard along with an ACL tear.

Therapy does suck big time. It just sucks not to be able to do things after surgery that were easy before surgery.

Train track scar is definitely sexy.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
\I've been through rehab for about 3 1/2 months, and I'm at the point now where I only have a bit to go before being back at full speed where I was prior to tearing the ACL.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm an Athletic Trainer and the earliest I've EVER gotten a football player (skill position) back to practicing full is 5.5 months, and he wasn't "really" back in shape for another two. I'm curious what you call "full speed."

[/ QUOTE ]

When I say a bit to go, I mean 2-4 months and that I'm about halfway, if not more than that there. My quad strength is pretty close to equal that of my good leg. I'm running in a straight line about 3/4 speed right now. I ran a mile in 7:30 the other day, which I would say I could do no better than 6:30 before the surgery. I don't have any lateral confidence yet, but we're working on that at therapy.

I expect (and hope) to be playing on the football field or basketball court again in 2-3 months and to be "fully" back in 3-5 months.