Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2007, 02:02 PM

Default Irons

So, I'm in the market for a new set of irons. Right now I'm playing with a [censored] old set that cost like $100 when I was 13. I think they are Spalding Executives. I'm graduating college in a month, and moving out to LA, and i want to start playing more. Back in high school I probably played twice a week for a couple years and was probably a 12-15 handicap. Now I'm lucky if I play once a month, and I'm shooting in the 90's. As far as club distance goes, I'm about 150 with my 7, and 170 with my 5. That's my golf background.

So, in looking for a new set of irons, I've found these get some pretty good reviews:

Nike Slingshots
Taylor Made rac OS2
Callaway Big Bertha

Does anybody have any expereince with these irons, or any others in the price range ($400-$600)?

Also, any DC area 2+2ers know any good stores to go try the clubs out?
Old 04-23-2007, 03:03 PM

Default Re: Irons

No way I'm buying irons without hitting some at a range, at least.

Also, get into "playing" shape before you hit demo day. You want to be on your game when choosing irons.

Dave
(ex-pro)
Old 04-23-2007, 03:11 PM

I'm in the market for new irons too, "just because" - have Ping i3+ that are fine, but want new ones [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Am an 8.7 handicap index, looking for some forgiveness - currently have Taylor Made R7, Callaway X-20, Titleist 775CB as the main contenders - anyone tried any of these or have alternate suggestions?

I plan to hit all of these at demo day this Friday.
Old 04-23-2007, 03:16 PM

use to have ping i3's, just got nike slingshots last year ( didn't play much ) but they seemed great.
Old 04-23-2007, 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No way I'm buying irons without hitting some at a range, at least.

Also, get into "playing" shape before you hit demo day. You want to be on your game when choosing irons.

Dave
(ex-pro)

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely. Wouldnt dream of buying without hitting.
Old 04-23-2007, 03:45 PM

Cincy,

Try the Cleveland Launcher irons. They quit making them last year so you may have a hard time finding a club to demo but for the money they are great IMO. Should be able to snag them for less than $400 new on ebay or around $400 if you can still find a set at a retail store.
Old 04-25-2007, 01:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm in the market for new irons too, "just because" - have Ping i3+ that are fine, but want new ones [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Am an 8.7 handicap index, looking for some forgiveness - currently have Taylor Made R7, Callaway X-20, Titleist 775CB as the main contenders - anyone tried any of these or have alternate suggestions?

I plan to hit all of these at demo day this Friday.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just got the new Callaway X-Forged, I love them. Used to play with the X-Tours. The new forged irons are one piece instead of 2 and are much more solid feeling. Also, much easier to work the ball with.

They have a look like the newer Cleaveland irons. Also come with projet X shafts stock.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:40 AM

These are great clubs. I really like the look of the long and mid irons, but wish the short irons were a little smaller.

I'm happy to see companies making some sets that have a more traditional look.
Old 04-25-2007, 01:27 PM

Going out to the range now to demo the Big Berthas, Mizzuno MX 19's and Slingshots. Unfortunately the guy only had a graphite shaft Slingshot for me to demo, so I'm not sure how much of a feel that will give me. I'll follow up when I get back.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:00 PM

So I finally had a chance to hit the Callaway X-20, Taylor Made R7, Mizuno MX-25 and Titleist 755. Again, I'm an 8 index playing with Ping i3+ irons now.

I liked the Titleist irons the best - the ball came off with a beautiful flight, sounded and felt good when I hit the sweet spot, definitely let me know when I didn't (though didn't loose a lot of distance in those cases). Best of all, I absolutely LOVE the way these look - so classic, some of the newer game-improvement irons are ugly!

Going to try the 775.CB also, then get fit for the right setup with the Titleists; I think I've found my new irons [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]