Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2007, 01:10 AM

Default Have you ever golfed without paying? (snuck some free golf)

I have on several occasions met up with my friends as they make the turn.

I then play the final nine with them then "forget" to go in and pay. It's pretty +EV so far.

I was curious if others did this, or some other variation of free golf.
Old 05-19-2007, 02:42 PM

Default Re: Have you ever golfed without paying? (snuck some free golf)

There was this course I used to live by where it was pretty easy to sneak out on the back side. Probably did it around 6-7 times.

I've also played Golf Mountain Golf Course in Bremerton, Washington on Christmas and Thanksgiving when they were closed.

Got kicked off the ASU Karsten course in Tempe, Arizona on Christmas day a couple years back. I managed to get in about 5 holes before some security type approached my friend and I and told us to get lost.

It's def +EV...worst that can happen IMO is you get banned from the course.
Old 05-19-2007, 07:51 PM

One better, I golfed regularly while on the clock working at a golf course
Old 05-19-2007, 08:33 PM

Many many times. The best is when my friends and I snuck onto a course late and night and played the back 9 with flashing golf balls.

We just get out on the course, have hit our drives and are finding our balls for the approach on the 10th hole, and somebody with a flashlight starts yelling at us from the tee box. We all run into the woods and hide there for about 5 minutes, all the while our balls are still flashing away in the fairway and rough. I guess he doesn't notice anything because he looks around some more and eventually drives away.

The best part of the event was one of my friends shot +3 over the back 9, which was intense because you cant really see anything or read the greens.

During the daylight there is a par 3 course I used to play regularly and we would often pay once, play 1-8 and then go back and do 2-9. The "grounds" crew hassled us a few times but never actually kicked us off.
Old 05-19-2007, 10:50 PM

All the time growing up. Mostly at one course where you could park where the clubhouse couldn't see you, sneak through a break in a wall, cross a street, and get to the 10th hole. They couldn't see you there and didn't patrol the course, so I regularly played holes 8-18 and got extremely good at them, and won some jr. tournaments there, so long as my game held up through holes 1-7 which I didn't know very well. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

This past January I was meeting a bunch of friends at Whirlwind, a Troon Golf property south of Phoenix. I couldn't make the round in time but there are no homes on the property so I drove around the perimeter until I found them, parked my ride, and played the last 13 holes with them. Lots of rangers, etc., but they never questioned why there was one more player than the pairing sheet indicated. Saved me about $90 and the icing was shooting 32 on the back. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-20-2007, 01:37 AM

Nice story tuq.
Old 05-20-2007, 12:50 PM

In 6th and 7th grade I had a membership at the local town country club where I spent most days during the summer. In 8th, 9th, and 10th I didn't renew my membership because the price went up, but the pro assumed I was still a member so I played free for 3 years ~ 150 rounds.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:15 PM

I grew up on the 4th hole (now 13 I guess since they switched back and front). I got really really good at 3 through 7. Now my brother's starting to do the same thing.
Old 05-20-2007, 10:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In 6th and 7th grade I had a membership at the local town country club where I spent most days during the summer. In 8th, 9th, and 10th I didn't renew my membership because the price went up, but the pro assumed I was still a member so I played free for 3 years ~ 150 rounds.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did the same thing one year. I had been a jr. member for 4 years, the 5th year I never paid and played for free all year. My friends would pay a ~1/3 of their dues at the beginning of the year saying they we're kids, didn't have the money yet and never pay the rest. They did this for several years and no one ever knew. The owner of the course was a laid back drunk, this helped.