Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2007, 05:25 PM

Default Going to run 2000m in two months - best training strategy?

I'm going to run 2000m against a friend of mine in less then two months. I really want to win this one. Whats the best training statgey here? Any other tips?

My physichal condition right now are OK minus, I guess.
Old 04-22-2007, 07:10 PM

Default Re: Going to run 2000m in two months - best training strategy?

1. I'd suggest going to RunnersWorld or some running forum and posing this question. I've never really trained distance runners before (did run distance in HS though).

2. I'd go long first...I.E. get your body used to the distance by training for over 2000 meters. Then I'd work on pace, like 400 meters at a certain time.

3. I'd also make sure I knew how to eat properly for this type of training (RW forum outta help I'd assume)

4. You can't be too strong in your core sections as a runner so don't neglect ab training.
Old 04-22-2007, 07:30 PM

height, weight, current exercise you do, and any running history are essential for this.
Old 04-22-2007, 08:02 PM

I'm no runner, and this probably isn't the best place for this. But I think the most common practice for middle distance like this is to build a base, and then do sprint/long jogs on different days.

Maybe someone who contributed in the other thread can point you in a better direction. With such a short time and if you are terribly out of shape, just actually running more and more each day to either run faster or more will likely be pretty close to optimal as far as training goes.
Old 04-22-2007, 11:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
height, weight, current exercise you do, and any running history are essential for this.

[/ QUOTE ]

175cm, 74kg. Played soccer from 6 years old to 18 years old. I'm 24, soon 25, years old now. Not much training the last six years. Some weight training and some jogging (Like 4km once every month the last six months).

I've heard interval training, running shorter distances many times(400m plus-minus)is goood training for running relative short distances like 2000m.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:21 AM

Start off doing a 4-6 mile jog on a daily basis. Then slowly transition into doing a whole bunch of 200s, 400s or 800s at the pace you want.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:39 AM

2K is a strange distance. Is this a match race or are the two of you running in a bigger race? What's the expected winning time? 8 minutes or 10 minutes.
You only have two months. Forget interval training. Gets you injured.
Are you faster or slower than the other guy? If faster just pace off him during the race. Wait for the final 200-50m and just outsprint him. If slower, you will need to lead and take the sprint out of him.
Good luck.