Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2007, 01:00 AM

Default As a society, what are we supposed to do with pedophiles?

Inspired by the "to catch a predator" thread.

I've been thinking lately. What are we supposed to do with these people? They get caught for w/e, go to prison, do their time, then they're back out on the street.

Except now, they can't live within X feet of schools, bus stops, daycares, etc. etc. And they have to register on a website, so anyone can go look them up and see their name, picture and address. They can't live anywhere, they can't find jobs, they basically can't survive. They have to live with the stigma of being a sexual predator and often the ridicule of overly-zealous folks (there are organized groups that do this) that regularly harass them.

Now these people are criminals, they are despicable and I have no sympathy for them.

But why even allow them back into society if we're bascially going to make it impossible for them to survive? It just seems like no one has ever thought that through. How can anyone put into this position not relapse or turn to some other life or crime?

Plus there is a lot of grey area. Someone who molests a 10 year old could be listed on the website right next to someone who had consentual sex with a 17-year old. Are both those people the same caliber of criminal?

Thoughts?
Old 04-22-2007, 01:04 AM

Default Re: As a society, what are we supposed to do with pedophiles?

"Plus there is a lot of grey area. Someone who molests a 10 year old could be listed on the website right next to someone who had consentual sex with a 17-year old. Are both those people the same caliber of criminal?"

I think this is your only real good point. The rest is kinda gibberish, obviously they survive, sure some people will know about what they did, but its not like they arent surviving.
Old 04-22-2007, 01:07 AM

Old 04-22-2007, 01:09 AM

i don't see why the answer to this question is different from the answer to the same question regarding thieves, arsonists, murderers etc
Old 04-22-2007, 01:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i don't see why the answer to this question is different from the answer to the same question regarding thieves, arsonists, murderers etc

[/ QUOTE ]

My point exactly.
Old 04-22-2007, 01:12 AM

1) Need to make different types punishments for different types of offenders (17yr old vs 10 yr old)
2) Need more/better treatment options...it is very difficult for these people to get help/therapy after they serve time. Many could be helped with proper drugs/therapy, but it is VERY difficult and expensive. The primary options are private institutes, which few can afford. Most end up broke, unemployable, and hated by society, which only leads to .....
[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 04-22-2007, 01:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"Plus there is a lot of grey area. Someone who molests a 10 year old could be listed on the website right next to someone who had consentual sex with a 17-year old. Are both those people the same caliber of criminal?"

I think this is your only real good point. The rest is kinda gibberish, obviously they survive, sure some people will know about what they did, but its not like they arent surviving.

[/ QUOTE ]

"its not like they aren't surviving."

Sounds like you missed the whole point of what I was saying. Sorry it wasn't clear enough.
Old 04-22-2007, 01:20 AM

I agree that there should be some kind of age clarification in the sentencing. Like an under 14 charge for example. Also the degree of seduction should play a role. If a man meets a girl in a bar and sleeps with her under the impression she was 21 vs. some guy that tricked a young girl into doing it.
But as a whole I could care less about the crappy post-jail life of a molester. At least it makes others think about the consequences of such actions. I think child molesters should have to wear some kind of tag in jail so they can find out what it’s like to get raped.
Old 04-22-2007, 01:26 AM

seven, I could care less about them also. My point was does it make the world safer to basically make it impossible for them to rehabilitate and re-enter society?
Old 04-22-2007, 01:26 AM

They serve their time and should be integrated back into society just like everyone who commits a crime.

What happens to integrate them only someone more qualified could know, but i doubt openly allowing access to the sex offender register like you do in America helps.

If therapy, monitoring and some kind of drug cocktail works then so be it.

If the problem is money, then it really shouldnt be a problem.

The justice system should deal with all stages, from detection to punishment to rehabilitation. With the latter two stages being specifically tailored to the prisoners needs and the crimes they have committed.

Again, im no expert so cant really say anything concrete.