Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2007, 07:31 AM

Default HSBC, BOND\'S......?

so i want to maximize the overall return on some money that i know i wont need for a year at least, however i dont want to put it it stocks either as i probably will need it for home purchase and whatnot. most of it currently sits in HSBC, but can i do better? i live in Nevada fwiw (i think that matters with munis) i hate to be lazy and just ask without doing any research, but i honestly feel overwhelmed by all the investment vehicles offered out there.
Old 04-21-2007, 09:12 AM

Default Re: HSBC, BOND\'S......?

Some of the internet banks that offer 5% savings accounts also offer CDs with higher yields (to make up for the loss of liquidity). I think under certain circumstances, bonds can be pretty good as well, depending on your tax bracket and state of residence.
Old 04-22-2007, 12:15 AM

Default Re: HSBC, BOND\'S......?

i did a little research and it appears i can make more overall with a Fidelity Tax-Free Bond Fund (choose fidelity because thats who i use for otehr invetsments) or Vanguard High-Yield Tax-Exempt Fund Investor Shares both which appear to beat ahat i can get CD/online savings wise.

any advice? fwiw, i expect to be in highest fed tax bracket.