Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2007, 05:13 PM

Default Help me buy my first website

I quit my job last year to play online poker but I hate the fact that there will be a big blank in my resume. So I would like to buy a legitimate website to fill that blank buy writing that I was in charge of that website. I'm an electrical engineer and I already got basic understanding of various programming language. As a matter of fact, I've already built a couple of basic websites using html/php but nothing serious.

So I would like to buy a website worth between $2k-$5k with good traffic that could generate a minimum of (initial cost)/20 per month. I could put up to 2 hours a day on it. My question is, since I’m new to this, what kind of website would you recommend.
Old 04-28-2007, 03:46 PM

Default Re: Help me buy my first website

Something that uses a CMS (Content Management System) to control the content so you can easily modify the website. Usually you average a website's worth by calculating about 10-12 months of revenue. So you are looking for something that makes between 200-500$ a month. Also, you'd probably want a website based on something that interests you so you will fill comfortable with the content. But you could always outsource the work.
Old 04-28-2007, 05:29 PM

Default Re: Help me buy my first website

I'd say buy a site for $50-$100 that is designed around whatever area of expertise / content you want and easily updatable but has 0 traffic. If you have no good content, the traffic that is there will die down. The only way to build traffic, and make money off the site, is through good content, and it updating, imo.