Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2007, 02:14 AM

Default A-K TPTK: is it good?

$.10/$.25 NLHE 9-handed online

Just got to table, no reads

Hero is in MP1 with Ah-Kc

UTG($16.75) limps, folded to Hero($24), Hero raises to $1.25, folded around to BB($21) who calls, UTG calls

Flop As-Qh-3d (Pot: $3.85)
BB bets $2, UTG calls $2, Hero calls $2
Remarks: Some will say I should raise here to define my hand or protect it or whatnot, but I figure I'm WA/WB here. Granted, there are two more opponents, but I'm either crushed to a set or something or dominating a lower ace, so why raise and drive hands that are going to pay me off out while allowing bigger hands to repop me right back or call the raise and make life more difficult?
Turn As-Qh-6d-4s (Pot: $9.85)
BB checks, UTG checks, Hero bets $4, BB folds, UTG raises to $8, Hero?

Now UTG only had $5.50 left behind here after the minraise. This screams of strength to me here, and I put him on A-4 specifically, but I've seen people in these games make this kind of a move with A-J or A-10 or Qs-Js, for example. I was pretty perplexed as to how to proceed here, but I feel like I'm probably just outhinking myself here. What do you do in this situation? And yes, I know of the "baluga theorem" so don't tell me to look it up, lol. I think the fact that he has very little left here may play a role in this situation? Or do you simply follow the theorem here and lay it down?
Old 04-14-2007, 02:21 AM

Default Re: A-K TPTK: is it good?

i would typically raise the flop.

the turn is an instashove given stacks. i would also typically bet larger on the turn so there is no decision to make.
Old 04-14-2007, 03:41 AM

By playing passive on this flop you put your self in a tough spot. Is he over playing his weak A or did he actually hit 2pairs.
If you raise the flop and then this happen you can then pretty much put him on 2 pairs or better. Alas, due to his stack you'd have to call/push any way.
Old 04-14-2007, 06:22 AM

I'd probly raise flop to 10 as well. If i get 2 callers im not putting any more money in. If the BB calls i'd probly play turn and river passive looking to get to a cheap showdown, but if shorty calls or check raises im looking to get him all in.
Old 04-14-2007, 09:17 PM

I set him in and villain instacalled with A-Q. That minraise was so damn smelly, and I kind of beat myself up directly after this not folding the turn, but now I am not too unsatisfied with my play considering his stack was so small. Maybe I should've folded it, I'm still kind of unsure, but flat calling the flop and betting only 1/4 of his stack on the turn certainly left me room to outhink myself.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:14 PM

So today a similar situation comes up.
There's a minraise from EP and I call in MP with Jc-10c along with around 6 or 7 others (lol, microdonks)

Flop comes 10c-7c-2d
Checked to me, I bet around $2.50 into $3.25 pot and player to my right calls it.
Turn comes Jh
Again villain checks and now I bet $4 and am greeted by a nice c/r to $10 where he now has $10 behind. I flat call it like a donk.
River comes 4s and he moves it in for $10 more and I call waiting for him to show me that 9-8.

And he does.

Just adding this as a corollary to the above post, because I don't think I'm respecting these turn c/r's enough. I said to myself on the turn "he has 9-8 so lay it down." Then I say "well maybe not and plus I still have outs to the house" like an idiot and convince myself to call. Then after he moves I say "well he has 9-8 but he could just have two pair or something." Basically I convinced myself to play like an idiot. Anyways, my main point is beware of this turn c/r type of play, because I've encountered monsters recently when it occurs (In the past, this was not so in my experience: players would just do this with top pair, for example, or a drawing hand as a semibluff.)