Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2007, 09:23 PM

Default Fight for Online Gaming!! -- Discussion thread for week of 4/23 action

What should we do for the week of 4/23 to fight for our right to play online? Here are a couple of suggestions:

Proposal #1: Follow the WSEX GM's lead and write to Congress advocating WTO compliance (I'd express it not in terms of having to take orders from the WTO, but in terms of doing what's right and what we agreed to...also remind Congress that we need the WTO to protect us as well). WSEX GM post on how you can help, on behalf of the Antigua Online Gaming Association

Proposal #2: Check out this video: John Kyl grilling Atty Gen Gonzales about UIGEA (at 40:33). I think we could write to Gonzales with encouragement to not get carried away. As he's politically imperiled, it may (or may not) be worth while. Also, while Kyl's mind is obviously made up, it would be nice if he understood many have a differing viewpoint. Kyl acts like he has 100% support. He probably assumes he does as few of us have bothered writing. I'm going to write to him to criticize his big-government solution to the "problem" of people deciding on their own to play poker online and to inform him that I'll contribute to his next opponent (yeah, I know that's five years away, but I'm not an AZ resident....I'll write if it's an item or not just because he pisses me off [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]).

Proposal #3: We need to influence public opinion. Perhaps we need a week of all of us writing to media outlets. Many of these media types don't even understand our viewpoint, I think. It seems they think we're all degenerate gamblers. Let's provide them with an alternate viewpoint.

Proposal #4: Ask your poker site to give money to PPA.

Proposal #5: Continue with the current plan, as Rep. Frank is preparing to propose his updated legislation per Las Vegas Review-Journal: Net bet ban resistance. We've been on this for a while, so I don't know what more we can do with either the committee or subcommittee aside from getting everyone caught up.
Old 04-22-2007, 01:07 AM

Default Re: Fight for Online Gaming!! -- Discussion thread for week of 4/23 action

any votes or discussion?
Old 04-22-2007, 01:51 PM

Default Re: Fight for Online Gaming!! -- Discussion thread for week of 4/23 action

All very good suggestions. You are doing very important work.
Old 04-22-2007, 06:19 PM

Im really dissapointed to see only 80 something hits on this thread so far (as of the time of this reply). This thread is probably the most important thread on the legislation forum.

Most of the other threads are discussion of opinion or inerpurtation of the UIGEA and its effects.

This thread promotes action! We need everyone to participate in combating the UIGEA. Every effort helps. We all need to be active in this effort. Whether it be writing your congressmen, joining the PPA (which everyone should have atleast done this), writing a contribution or support check to the PPA, Barney Frank or D'amato, or even educating the poker community (including the recreational players and fish) about the UIGEA.

UIGEA is a violation of our personal rights. We all should be out-raged and active in combating this 'nanny law'. I again encourage everyone to particiapte. Follow this thread its a good base and encourage others to visit this thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-22-2007, 09:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All very good suggestions. You are doing very important work.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks! Let's all fight this week.