Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2007, 05:55 PM

Default Water

I hate the tast of water, it's bland and boring.

If i added some of the crystal light sweetner packs to my 8 bottles of water a day is that any better then drinking diet pop?
Old 04-26-2007, 06:16 PM

Default Re: Water

Yeah, a lot better. Make sure not to go overboard as there are still caloric concerns (right?), and be mindful that there's a lot of stuff out there outlining the negative (or possible negatives) or artificial sweeteners. Overall though, getting the water is important.
Old 04-26-2007, 06:21 PM

Is there any compelling evidence to support the health benefits pf drinking lots of water? I hear a lot of bodybuilders, dieters, and athletes in general talking about putting away a gallon+ of water a day. I can't imagine this to be very necessary since whatever we don't get from directly drinking water we get plenty of from our food sources, other drinks, etc.

Isn't all that excessive water just pissed out? Why do we want to make our kidneys do more work than normal?
Old 04-26-2007, 06:41 PM

Skunk,

Here is the things I have read that it does:

Flushes out the toxins in your body
Replenishes fluids that help lubricate the internal body
Keeps you hydrated (duh!)
Reduces hunger--thus aids in weight loss
Helps make skin look smooth & young

I only drink water but only b/c I stay away from empty calories. Whether or not water does this stuff I am not sure, these are just some of the things I have read a few times.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is there any compelling evidence to support the health benefits pf drinking lots of water?

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhmm...yes, to the tune of about a ton of studies. Almost no one would be hurt by consuming more water. Obviously you don't need to drink the Mississippi everyday, but still.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:00 PM

tdarko, a side rant here:

If there's one thing I've learned in the past year or two, it's that 95% of the things to claim to "flush out toxins" are rooted in homeopathic voodoo garbage thinking. Not attacking you at all, but I just hate it because it's vague and unscientific but strikes fear. Toxins!
Old 04-26-2007, 07:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't imagine this to be very necessary since whatever we don't get from directly drinking water we get plenty of from our food sources, other drinks, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mmm...not so much? Alcohol, pop, etc actually dehydrate the body. And you don't get a lot of water from most food sources. Our bodies are what, like 70% water? Water promotes anabolism (muscle growth), keeps your metabolism clicking, etc. Some people (maybe who your talking about) probably take this to the extreme...but the vast majority of the population is living in a chronic dehydrated state.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:53 PM

I don't think most caffeinated beverages actually dehydrate you. From snopes:
"Additionally, the idea that one must specifically drink <I>water</I> because the diuretic effects of caffeinated drinks such as coffee, tea, and soda actually produce a net loss of fluid appears to be erroneous. The average person retains about half to two-thirds the amount of fluid taken in by consuming these types of beverages, and those who regularly consume caffeinated drinks retain even more"

http://www.snopes.com/medical/myths/8glasses.asp
Old 04-26-2007, 08:03 PM

jah7, agree somewhat alcohol but disagree on soda. Diet soda definitely hydrates me, although maybe not as efficiently as water. Regular soda, well... there's some controversy about that.

As far as alcohol goes, in the middle ages they drank beer and grog as a primary source of water, right?

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] dethgrind. Beat me to it.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:05 PM

Even if it doesn't dehydrate you I can't think that diet soda instead of water would be good. I mean I drink diet soda all the time (I try to keep it caffeine free), but I also drink a lot of water. I think we'd be quite foolish to try and turn anyone away from consuming water.