Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2007, 04:05 AM

Default Limit King NYC - A study of underground games in NYC

Normally discussions of underground rooms without the prior permission of the room's management in the B&M forum can be grounds for suspension or worse. This thread will be an exception to the rule, its a very unique situation because LimitKingNYC has given us permission to discuss him and his blog provided his privacy remains intact. With that said, I am warning everyone in advance that disclosing names or locations that are alluded to in this thread and the related blog, or asking for information via PM will be crossing the line of acceptability, and will therefore be risking a ban from participating at 2+2. Lets respect LimitKingNYC's privacy, while exploring his world.

LimitKingNYC is a pseudonym for a friend who runs what is literally the only underground limit games left in NYC. In the old days the vast majority of Hold'em players came from Texas and NYC, the classic card rooms such as Diamond Club and Mayfair were the breeding grounds of Howard Lederer, Dan Harington, Erick Sidel, Stu Unger, and many others in NYC - all playing a mix of limit and pot-limit games. More recently bold face names such as Nick "The Takeover" Schulman, and 2+2's own Shaniac come from the remnants of these underground card clubs, cutting their teeth in the underground NYC games.

LimitKingNYC recently started a blog so he can discuss his experience as an owner/operator of the last remaining limit games in NYC, which at this point only spread at 10/20 1/2 kill and 20/40 by invitation only (and if its found that you are discussing the games outside this close protected circle, he will make sure you never get to play in his games again - loose lips sink ships). The blog is unique because he doesn't mention names, he doesn't disclose any secrets at all, but he paints a very visual picture of what its like to make a living in NYC's underground games that only a privileged few have access to at this point due to constant arrest and harassment by the NYPD.

I hope you enjoy this candid expose on NYC's underground games - Getting to know the King

[ QUOTE ]
This tough Latin dealer looks at me and says that I am the Frank White of limit poker. The movie fan in me thinks of "The King of New York" and I say the Limit King of N.Y. my man!!!

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-03-2007, 04:25 AM

Default Re: Limit King NYC - A study of underground games in NYC

i'm a youngin. only been playing the game for a few years. that said, i can appreciate the underground. my experience has been with the less than savory people slinging drugs in the city. its a nice refresher to read about the grinders spreading poker games. stories about the big private no limit games in nyc are all i've read about the last couple of years. very interesting to read about the limit underground games.

it takes a real grinder to make a living spreading 10-20 limit.

ps - there's a typo in your op on stu ungers last name
Old 04-03-2007, 05:16 AM

Very interesting and well written blog. This stuff belongs in a book; the kind you read in one or two sittings.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:14 AM

Good read, nice voice, but he could use a copy editor.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LimitKingNYC talks like he writes, its pure narrative - and 100% real - no embellishments.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LimitKingNYC talks like he writes, its pure narrative - and 100% real - no embellishments.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are correct, my man.

Although it amuses me that he decided to blog -- he never struck me as a blogger type... I need to get back to that game.

Unfortunately we cannot drum up enough interest for 27TD or Badugi with TT in Vegas.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:21 AM

good read
Old 04-03-2007, 11:27 AM

Interesting read, he should eventually contact a publisher, people love to read stuff like this.

Sorry, but what is 10/20 "half kill" or "kill" mean???
Old 04-03-2007, 11:47 AM

Location: Here I am, brain the size of a planet and I can\'t beat the 2 cent O/8 game on UB. Depressing, isn\'t it?

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry, but what is 10/20 "half kill" or "kill" mean???

[/ QUOTE ]

If you win two pots in a row (here in Indiana the second pot has to be 10x the big blind) the stakes double in a full hill and increase by 50% in a half kill game. (20-40 in a full kill, 15-30 in a half kill)
Old 04-03-2007, 12:43 PM

I ran into LimitKing outside my office bulding a couple of weeks ago and we had a long talk. Haven't been able to make it to his club yet though. He's a great guy and he's certainly been around; one of the true mainstays of the NYC poker world.