Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Probability
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2007, 08:01 PM

Default 100,000 hands on Wrong End of Bell Curve

Through 104,163 hands, I have received

AA 438 times, or once in every 237 hands
KK 464 times, or once in every 224 hands
QQ 439 times, or once in every 239 hands

I had statistics in college 15 years ago, so I know that the expected pocket pair once in every 221 hands is an average based on a random distribution. But I have long since forgotten how to calculate standard deviations and how many standard deviations from the mean a particular data point (sorry for the incorrect terminology) lies.

I'm interested in finding out, really for no other reason than that at my current winrates with these hands, Full Tilt seems to owe me 4.3 buy-ins. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Seriously, I'm interested in finding out just how bad this run is.

If anybody can point me at a site or a formula, I'm happy to try to puzzle it out on my own.

Thanks.
Old 04-06-2007, 10:13 PM

Default Re: 100,000 hands on Wrong End of Bell Curve

I'm not really sure what you are asking. You seem to be talking about getting PP's but then also about win rate.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:02 PM

On average, a played gets a PP once every 221 hands. I have not. I know, because the 1 in 221 number is the mean of all players, that other people are out there getting fewer PPs than once in 221 hands. I guess the pecise question I want answered is in what percentile of all players does my PP frequency fall.

The bit about win rate was supposed to be a joke designed to show this wasn't a BBV post in disguise. All I meant was that it has cost me about 4.3 buy ins to have been dealt fewer than average PPs.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:21 PM

To answer briefly, you would expect to have gotten each pocket pair about 471 times each, with a standard deviation of about 22.

In others words, you have suffered a mild run of bad luck, but there are a whooole lot of people out there who have suffered a much worse run of luck.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:14 AM

...and approximately 0.0% of the people who have experienced the corresponding mild good luck have thought it worth noting to other people. There's something that really interests me.