Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2007, 08:22 AM

Default Pro-Teck-Shun

Stars $3/6.

I open KTs in the CO. Button who is a 2p2er with 20/16 stats over a tiny sample thinks and threebets. BB who is a muppet of the highest order calls as does your intrepid hero.

Flop: AT4r. Here comes the intrepid part.

BB donks. I reckon that, sure he'll do this with a lot of aces, but he'll do it with a lot of worse hands too. I raise.

Is this standard? I mean, you're getting 10-1 so folding looks a bit on the wrong side. With a player behind you who could very well be coerced into mucking the best hand, is a raise a good plan?

Guy.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:26 AM

Default Re: Pro-Teck-Shun

I like the raise, then if Button 3bets you can fold to a cap by BB, or call if its only 3bets and let go on turn UI.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:13 AM

I am bad...but I like it. The pot is large, and he will almost certainly fold KK,QQ,JJ, and you may get to showdown more cheaply this way vs the muppet.

However, you always feel retarded when you get 3-bet, call, spike a K on the turn a lose more. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 04-10-2007, 11:21 AM

Please expand on the muppet read before I can respond to this. I think raising if you're going to continue it the best play though. If muppet is loose passive and straight forward then I'm folding.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:00 PM

I like the play, seems to protect your weak holding. What do you do if the Button calls or 3-bets? Or if button folds and and BB 3-bets?
Old 04-10-2007, 01:39 PM

I'm not a fan. I feel like most bad players are more likely to check call here with less than an A, and we still have the tag player behind us who could very well have an A. I just don't see us taking this hand to showdown and being good frequently enough to be putting in 2 small bets here.

The main reason I don't like the raise, is that the TAG behind us is going to give away the strength of his hand if we just call so if he calls behind we can be pretty sure he doesnt have an A. This play could still be made on the turn, or we can call with odds to spike a T or K.

I just call and see a turn card here.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:44 PM

Maybe he just calls with his JJ-KK, but maybe he folds those if we raise. I think he probably will fold those if we raise unless we have history (even then.) I'm more concerned with the player donking into two raisers.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe he just calls with his JJ-KK, but maybe he folds those if we raise. I think he probably will fold those if we raise unless we have history (even then.) I'm more concerned with the player donking into two raisers.

[/ QUOTE ]

right, I agree with this. I think the donker is more likely to be ahead of us than behind us, and the there it is pretty likely that the TAG behind us may also have an A and raise it up.

I just don't see us folding out a better hand from the TAG, while making it to SD ahead of the fish often enough to make this play +EV.

I think this is a case of a fancy play that seem reasonable in the moment, but isn't really a successful long-term strategy.
Old 04-10-2007, 02:12 PM

If you just call and the TAG 3-better has JJ-KK he might just call as well, which could be good if you need to catch to win this pot against the donk bettor.

If you raise the TAG will probably fold those same hands (at least a good portion of the time), which is good if you're ahead of the donk bettor.

It all comes down to your read on the donk bettor. Will he fire with less than an A on an uncoordinated board? I would think there are not many players around that can do this.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:05 PM

I like the raise, just because I'm preternaturally inclined to disrespect this donkbet.