Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2007, 09:48 PM

Default Horse - Stud H/L. Gunning for High

General comments appreciated. I'm aware the hand is somewhat marginal on 3rd street since it has little low value. On 4th street though I'm a little more optimistic. At the end it seems like a few lows are made. Should I have done this differently?

Tournament - HORSE - 7 Card Stud High-Low - Level V (80/160), Ante 16 (converter)

Hero: 1,495
Seat 2: 1,860
Seat 3: 1,960
Seat 4: 1,330
Seat 5: 582
Seat 6: 3,034
Seat 8: 1,739

3rd Street - (1.40 SB)

Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 2: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 6: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 8: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls

4th Street - (5.40 SB)

Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 5: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 8: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls

5th Street - (4.70 BB)

Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets___raises
Seat 5: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___raises___calls 86 and is all-in
Seat 6: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 8: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls___calls

6th Street - (16.24 BB)

Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___all-in
Seat 6: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 8: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls

River - (22.24 BB)

Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] xx___all-in
Seat 6: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx___bets___calls
Seat 8: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx___raises

Total pot: (28.24 BB)
Old 04-04-2007, 10:50 PM

Default Re: Horse - Stud H/L. Gunning for High

and...seat 8 had the wheel?
Old 04-04-2007, 11:12 PM

Feedback before results. Did I do something wrong?
Old 04-04-2007, 11:37 PM

Fold 3rd. The BI completed and a 7 and Ace called. Big pairs suck against multiple low draws.
Old 04-05-2007, 12:07 AM

Deuce brings it in full, two players call, and there are two Deuces behind you? Your hand is very pretty, but I think folding is best. Beyond that, you're fine, although I'd check sixth.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:37 AM

I don't see anything wrong with it. I don't like taking kings multi way, but with the dead cards I'd suspect your hand is stronger than usual. The only disaster is if the 2 brought it in full with KK-2. :8
Old 04-05-2007, 06:57 PM

On 5th street you are betting 1 BB into 3 other people for (almost assuredly) half of a 4.70 BB pot with 3 live outs to beat a straight.

Your approach isn't necessarily borne out of the wrong instinct to protect a nice-looking hand, but wait till it's short-handed or you're heads up on 4th street to play it the way you did. Multi-way with numerous low draws and possible straights developing on 5th and 6th streets, I see no reason to jam this pot.

Also, in general, the buy-in and any relevant reads would be good to know. I play low-limit HORSE SnG's, and while 80% of players are comically fishtastic (with Stud 8 seeming to be a particularly spew-y weakness of theirs), most of the time there's at least one other TAG at the table, and obv I adjust my play accordingly against these rare gems.

In terms of the tourney implications, I think you can comfortably wait for a better opportunity to play a stronger (i.e. 2-way) hand, given the size of your stack relative to the structure and the other players' stacks.
Old 04-06-2007, 09:06 AM

It would have been hard to get away from, I'll give you that though the ace in the window in seat 8 gives you a dead out to a full. But as you said yourself, there really wasn't much low potential, and ultimately you want to scoop. As the other seats boards develop, it should have been evident that you would not be able to scoop, plus your hand is almost blatantly obvious to astute players who read your upcards. I might have folded on fifth or sixth st. but I can't blame you for going down the river, it would have been tough to lay it down.
Old 04-06-2007, 04:53 PM

I don't mind the call on third. But I think you absolutely need to try to checkraise A3 on fourth and get HU if possible. While 73 doesnt look dangerous to you now, it'll make the later streets much easier to play since you cant get jammed out of the pot.