Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2007, 06:32 PM

Default Standard preflop with 99??

Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em, $.10 BB (10 handed) Hand History converter Courtesy of PokerZion.com

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

MP3 ($11.19)
Hero ($10)
Button ($10.17)
SB ($4.90)
<font color="#C00000">BB ($9.93)</font>
UTG ($7.12)
UTG+1 ($8.62)
UTG+2 ($5.65)
MP1 ($18.46)
MP2 ($10.28)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+2 calls $0.10, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $0.5</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $1.65</font>, UTG+2 folds, Hero folds.

My intial raise I used the 4x+1 rule. When it was reraised I looked at villians stack and it was another $1.15 more to me. Villian didn't have $1.15x8 ($9.20) left in his stack so if I call and hit my set, Im still short.

Look standard?? Thanks for any help.

Final Pot: $2.30
Old 04-05-2007, 07:19 PM

Default Re: Standard preflop with 99??

Unfortunately yes. If you had limped you could have called and maybe stacked him.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:19 PM

Yeah, against unknown I fold in this situation almost 100%.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Unfortunately yes. If you had limped you could have called and maybe stacked him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Had I not been reraised my CB would have possibly taken it down on the flop if it was just me and limper. When heads up on the flop with these types of hands, my CB often takes it down. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

It seems with limping you can go for a stack but with raising you limit the playing field and win smaller pots.

Whats the best way to play these hands? My PFR was only 2-3% and I had to come up with something.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:34 PM

You have to fold here for the reasons stated above.
IMO your raise from the HJ is still the right move, i raise this from LP almost 100% of the time unless maybe there are 3 or 4 limpers before me.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i raise this from LP almost 100% of the time unless maybe there are 3 or 4 limpers before me.

[/ QUOTE ]

4x+1 per limper rule not in use at that point? That will surely eliminate players from seeing the flop and with more dead money in the pot Im thinking.

BTW, thanks for the info everyone. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-05-2007, 07:45 PM

I call here for the set value even though it might be slightly -EV.

He is deep enough that it is -EV by just a little. Also he may give you a free card if he is going for a checkraise with a big pair or if he misses with AK.

Also, I can't let the BB push me around since I steal from the CO/BTN &gt;50% of the time. If it was a limp reraise by UTG or UTG+1, I would surely fold.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Had I not been reraised my CB would have possibly taken it down on the flop if it was just me and limper. When heads up on the flop with these types of hands, my CB often takes it down. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

It seems with limping you can go for a stack but with raising you limit the playing field and win smaller pots.

Whats the best way to play these hands? My PFR was only 2-3% and I had to come up with something.

[/ QUOTE ]
I did the math on raising hands like this and it's pretty marginal even if you pick up the blinds 70% of the time and pick it up on the flop 70% of the remining 30%. It's much better to limp /call a typical raise and play for stacks than pick up the small pots with these hands in cash games (tournament play is different of course because the blinds have more value).

However, you do need to do something about the 2-3% PFR and your image. I'd suggest waiting for hands like ATos or KJos. These are hands you wouldn't mind just taking down the blinds with but if you have to play them after the flop they still have some big pair value if your cbet gets called.

The point is you don'twnt to miss out on taking a flop with a hand like 99, however you don't mind folding ATos or KJos to a raise as you were likely in big trouble anyway.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

4x+1 per limper rule not in use at that point?

[/ QUOTE ]

I raise if say utg and mp1 limp 4xBB +1 for every limper if in late position.
If there are more limpers i just call because i'd like to keep em all in the hand. Then one of them would probably make a hand and the pot is decent enough size (~6BB) to build a pot.

I'm waiting til my PT has more hands so i can see if this is truly a good idea or if i should be limping always.