Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2006, 05:00 AM

Default PLO8 Situation

This situation has been on my mind as of late, cant figure out what to do in this spot.

I pick up A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] on the button or any all high hand you can imagine, this is just an example. I raise because of the position and the hand is pretty decent. I get called by 4-6 people. Flop comes A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. they all check to me. Whats my move here?

I have top two pair, but theres a flush draw of which I have no part of and theres a low draw of which I once again have no part of. So do I bet the pot? Check and take a free card?

What do you guys think?
Old 02-21-2006, 05:48 AM

Default Re: PLO8 Situation

I would pot bet the flop and push the turn on any A, Q, or non heart K,9,8,7,6,2 which is ~50% of turn cards. The more flop callers the higher the turn card needs to be for a push though.

The beauty of this hand is that most opponents will feel very vulnerable on on this flop after your PFR, or on the turn on any of the above cards. Most will not have a nut low draw or a particularly good high/high draw on this flop.

Old 02-21-2006, 10:58 AM

I think this is very scenario dependant. If the people cannot get away from a draw then there is no point of betting it here, if I have been rather TAGish and people know that then this is a perfect time to pot it on the flop. I then check behind on any scary turn and hope to boat up. I think you need to bet here because you need to get people out, then you can be almost sure that if no1 raises you here that ur against FD and LD. That gives you a ton of FE on the turn and if the turn is a lowcard that is not 5 and non-heart you can still bet out the turn and be pretty sure that u have isolated to just a made low and hope that he doesnt also have a FD with that (that is if u have like 3-4 ppl still in on turn- if there are 2 i check behind and try and keep this pot small some of the time and some of the time i bet out)
Old 02-21-2006, 08:17 PM

Bet pot to represent AA and try and win it now. In general, top two pair is not a hand I want to go to war with, and overplaying it is often a leak (I think it was you that told me this Jorge!).

If you got 6 callers, then 4 of them must have been calling with non-ace hands. Those tend to be 1) high pairs/runs like KJT, QQxx, or 2) low cards like 245. So I think its fairly likely that someone has a hand that can call you here.

I also think betting out on 6,7,8 cards is a great way to get freerolled for your stack. I’d tend to check-call the turn there as few hands that can call the flop when you represent top set will fold when a low gets there.

I also wouldn't be min-raising on the button when 6 limpers came in.

-g
Old 02-21-2006, 09:45 PM

How much are you raising PF with this (I mean amount, not % of time)? I don't make this play often but it seems like a decent idea.

As for your flop line, I would put a 2/3-3/4 size bet out there. If you get raised, you're done. A lot of the time you'll pick up the pot, and IMO a sub-pot-sized bet looks a little more intimidating to weaker players than a full pot (which may feel to them like you're trying to bullying them out of the pot). Also, you'll buy a free card on the turn if it completes a low or flush a lot of the time, and builds the pot in case you make a real hand on the turn that you want to defend against low draws.
Old 02-22-2006, 02:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Bet pot to represent AA and try and win it now. In general, top two pair is not a hand I want to go to war with, and overplaying it is often a leak (I think it was you that told me this Jorge!).

[/ QUOTE ]

Dont know if it was me, but is possible, I hate two pair in omaha because people just get broke with it way more than they win. They assume I got two pair he cant have a set I mean what are the odds then boom he had a set. Or the board pairs but they dont have a boat and lose when the draw gets there on the river. Not a hand I like to back with my stack.

My instict in this spot is to bet, but the problem comes when they call and the turn brings just about any card because its hard to tell if they are going high or low plus if they check on the turn its exactly what a person with the nuts would do. Its a messy hand.

[ QUOTE ]
How much are you raising PF with this (I mean amount, not % of time)? I don't make this play often but it seems like a decent idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont pot it because the hand has a hard time hitting and also when it does its well conceived usually. I usually raise 3 to 4 times the blind. Just a raise to build the pot.

[ QUOTE ]
As for your flop line, I would put a 2/3-3/4 size bet out there. If you get raised, you're done. A lot of the time you'll pick up the pot, and IMO a sub-pot-sized bet looks a little more intimidating to weaker players than a full pot (which may feel to them like you're trying to bullying them out of the pot). Also, you'll buy a free card on the turn if it completes a low or flush a lot of the time, and builds the pot in case you make a real hand on the turn that you want to defend against low draws.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like it. Ill try this out see how it works.