Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2007, 06:41 PM

Default Does the Raiser have a Pair or a Big Ace?

I will use the same hand I already posted in the "weak/tight" post.
I have pocket 66 in MP and limp in (I do realize that this is suspect and does get me into trouble here....most advice here is to raise or fold first in with a pair from MP on)
anyway..I limp all folds to the button (a pro) who raises.
both blinds fold, I call. just two of us to the flop of
8c,8s,7h...I bet..Button raises I call. turn is the Js...I check and fold to his bet.
not a very well played hand I admit.But it gives me a question that arises all the time in limit poker. DOES THE PREFLOP RAISER HAVE A BIG ACE OR A PAIR?
and is it my job to find out?
in this hand...5 1/2 bets are in the pot.
whats wrong with just check/calling him down and find out if he has a pair.
using a "normal" range of hands here. He is less than 50% to be holding a pair. and the pot is laying me larger than two to one to call him down.
it costs me 5 bets to call him down..if he doesnt give up and bets every street. if my hand holds up I win 10 1/2 bets...if I lose it costs me 5 bets.
What do you think?
Old 04-05-2007, 07:24 PM

Default Re: Does the Raiser have a Pair or a Big Ace?

[ QUOTE ]
using a "normal" range of hands here

[/ QUOTE ]

What is "normal?" How does the turn J affect your equity against his range? What if it were a K or an A instead of a J?
Old 04-10-2007, 06:51 AM

Default Re: Does the Raiser have a Pair or a Big Ace?

I'll say by "normal" you mean a hand range determined by a range of hands the raiser has shown at showdown. I on an average limp in with a mid pair expecting to hit trips. And any over cards on the flop need to be questioned. I think you raising him pre-flop or even on the flop would of really told you were you stood. Since you limped in pre-flop and just called his raise preflop, he probably put you on two high cards or a mid to low pair....that's where I would too. You bet the flop which was good,"representing high pair maybe" Yet he still raised you on a rainbow flop, stating if he had raised with a "big ace" hopefully suited, he had 6 outs to make a high pair. Raising him could of gave you the answer if he had a made hand or if he was drawing dead. Checking the turn meant You Couldn't beat the J unless you were going to check raise him. If I was the pro I'd Raise you every time we were heads up and as you check, that would be a sign to bet specially since he has position on you half the times. (MP to Button.) Check calling will cost you too much in the long run. Try raising too see where you stand(but not all the time)and an opponent might lay down the best hand regardless.