Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 11:53 PM

Default Internet Ban Repealed?

Good news for 2+2ers, if true...

IBLS INTERNET LAW - NEWS PORTAL
http://www.ibls.com/internet_law_news_portal_view

An American legislator, Rep. Barney Frank of MA, , is now preparing a bill to allow online gaming seeming certain to pass. This is a 180 degree change of stance for the U.S., and while this legislation has much to recommend it, will certainly be unpopular with a vast number of American politicians and the public. As a study of the world phenomenon of Internet gambling, this article will answer these questions: What is the history of online wagering; What places allow online gambling & where is the international law located; Why does the US block this lucrative trade; Will the WTO Decision Affect International online wagering; Will America legalize online gaming?
Online gaming has created a multi-billion dollar industry that saw 1,800 gambling sites by 2003 generating $5 billion in income, which some believe now tops 20 billion, or more in 2007. It has also fostered an equal amount of controversy, especially in the US where such activities are currently considered illegal. Yet, in May 2007, the American position is threatened by another loss at the World Trade Organization (WTO) when they ruled the U.S. unfairly infringing upon the commerce of other nations, and have demanded America cease and desist the blocking of gaming by Americans.
Will America Ever Accept Online Betting?
Almost certainly, soon the U.S. will allow online wagering, supporting leading gambling authority Professor I. Nelson Rose’s claim that, "No United States federal statute or regulation explicitly prohibits Internet gambling, either domestically or abroad." Despite this, the US government insisted online gambling illegal and used the Wire Act and other laws to enforce compliance. But one U.S. legislator is going to try and change all this.

Representative Barney Frank, (D. Mass.), has proposed legislation called the Internet Gambling Regulation and Enforcement Act of 2007 (IGREA), which would legalize online gaming. It allows return of online gaming, but makes registration much harder than current practice. Christopher Costigan, President of the gambling study site Gambling911, said, “This was not quite what the industry was expecting”…“the licensing, taxation, and the background checks. Overall the standards are pretty stringent.” It will probably pass in at least some form. But the bill will also stop many would-be proprietors in their tracks because of the new beefy background checks.
Old 05-05-2007, 12:15 AM

Location: I wish life wasn\'t about money then I could afford a house, a car and life insurance.
Default Re: Internet Ban Repealed?

Wow, good news! This must have just happened.
Old 05-05-2007, 12:20 AM

i don't get it.
Old 05-05-2007, 12:24 AM

this is bitter sweet. I'll miss playing the meth head felons at .50/1.00 tables at party.. there goes my bb/100.
Old 05-05-2007, 12:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
this is bitter sweet. I'll miss playing the meth head felons at .50/1.00 tables at party.. there goes my bb/100.

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't get it.
Old 05-05-2007, 12:34 AM

background checks.. Im assuming that if your a felon or something you will not be able to play.
Old 05-05-2007, 12:45 AM

it still doesn't look good

http://www.caribbeannetnews.com/news-1335--4-4--.html

I guess the background checks and what not would be against people that wish to open up an online gaming site.

"While the Bush administration is moving to block WTO-imposed legal changes on this issue, lawmakers such as Representative Barney Frank, the Democratic chairman of the House Financial Services Committee, are moving legislation to allow online gambling in the US, loosening a ban enacted last year.

The legislation would allow Americans to bet online with licensed Internet operators.

"This is a kind of libertarian, let-people-have-fun kind of thing," Frank said last month. "
Old 05-05-2007, 12:51 AM

lol but then again....

http://www.eog.com/news/full-article.aspx?id=23402
Closed Thread