Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2007, 05:49 AM

Default NL10 - AA on a paired board

Hi Guys, first post here and trying out NL for the first time having read the stickies and still trying get my head round the strategy. Apologies for the manual conversion I dont have the HH to hand at the moment and am doing it from memory.

I wanted to know if the flop shove was correct or not?

It was a full ring table that I started off pretty tight at but then got loose as the numbers dwindled so had a pretty laggy image

4 handed - BB is about 50/25/1.6 - had about 50 hands on him at this point but he had been playing 3/4 handed the entire time.

Villain was about 15 hands in at this point, bought in for $5 hadnt raised yet, had called every raise with any two so far. His flop bets had been small each time (less than quarter pot most times)

Stacks are roughly

Party NL 10

Hero - $10
SB - $19
BB - $14
CO - $4

Hero has A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

CO limps, <font color="red">Hero raises to $0.5</font>, SB folds, BB calls, CO calls,

Flop - $1.55

x,8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

BB checks, <font color="blue">CO bets $0.25 </font> , <font color="red">Hero raises all-in
</font>
Was this correct?
Old 03-30-2007, 06:18 AM

Default Re: NL10 - AA on a paired board

Terrible play...

You get called with hands that beat you and any worse hands fold...

Just raise 1, en see what happens.
Old 03-30-2007, 06:22 AM

If noone has an 8 here and the x can't make a straight or flush then you basically have the nuts. Problem is with that oversized bet you're betting your whole stack just to find out.

Just make a decent sized raise to $1.50 or so and see what the BB does. You have a huge hand in position and you want to extract some money from lesser hands not blow them all out of the pot.

If the BB cold calls and CO reraises you could consider throwing it away unless they are wild players but the vast majority of the time you will have the best hand and they will be drawing very thin.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:13 AM

Ok cheers - to explain the over-bet:

I had seen BB lead out when he hit the board and I had seen him lead out with stuff like middle/bottom pair, and he had called my c-bets with underpairs to the board when I had missed with Ace high. I couldnt remember him check-raising any monsters and was reasonably confident that he didnt have an 8 when he checked the flop.

The CO, although new, was pretty passive it seemed and the small bet was consistent with his last dozen hands where he had some piece of the board but not the nuts.

I had also made a really bad push a few orbits earlier against the BB with Jacks on a paired board where he held the trip card, and sucked out on the river.

I had been very laggy when it got shorthanded and had got caught bluffing a couple of times and was hoping that the overbet looked like I had air and was bluffing, in the hope he would call with a smaller pair or the 'x' card (cant remember what it was).

This certainly wouldnt be my standard line but given those reads at the time I thouht it might be an interesting gamble. But a half/two-thirds bet would be standard though right?
Old 03-30-2007, 08:23 AM

raise to $1.25
Old 03-30-2007, 08:27 AM

Also at a tangent - how do you deal with a villain thats calls every c-bet but bets whenever he is checked to on the flop, and you have missed the flop?
Old 03-30-2007, 09:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also at a tangent - how do you deal with a villain thats calls every c-bet but bets whenever he is checked to on the flop, and you have missed the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

C-bet less and when you do hit the flop good sometimes check to him and let him hang himself.
Old 03-30-2007, 12:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]I played against a guy the other night who was VPIP of 90 over 50 hands. He called everything no matter what he had. So, when I was in a hand with him, I wouldn't ever c-bet. I would just value bet. So I would raise all my PPs PF. If I hit I bet. If not, depending on how high my PP was and how low the board was I would bet or c/c. For instance, with 88 on a J54 board I would bet if I was just up against him (key point) and check turn for pot control and bet river as long as another over didn't hit. With 88 on a KJ4 flop against him I would c/f the flop. The diff is in the first hand the chances he had the J (the card he needed) are slim. In the second the chances go up that he has one of the two overs. With AA on a KJ4 flop I would bet every street or shove the turn if it was blank. You have to play the odds that he has EXACTLY the hand needed to beat you. I took this guy's stack twice in the session. I also took a $4 hit once or twice. Don't be afraid of the variance. Hope this helps.
Old 03-31-2007, 10:06 AM

Yes it does cheers
Old 03-31-2007, 10:31 AM

This is not a good play. You're only getting called by a hand that beats you on the flop, whether it's an 8 or xx for full house. I would probably raise the flop to 2.50 and see how BB reacts. There are then so many scenarios that could then play out with two vilians. Worst case, BB cold calls your raise and CO repushes over your raise. Maybe it's nitty, but I think I could find a fold there.

edit: mistyped, meant 1.50 on flop not 2.50