Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2007, 11:38 AM

Default AK Line Question

pretty wild live 25-50 NL game...lots of raising/reraising/big pots preflop etc...dont remember exact stacks so lets assume everyone starts hand with 10k...small blind sat down just a little while ago, so he hasnt seen all of the craziness at the table...no real read on him...BB been calling a lot of raises with a wide range of hands - and been pretty ABC after that...

I limp UTG+2 for 100 couple of callers and small blind raises to 500...big blind calls 500...i reraise to 2000 total...limpers fold and the blinds call...so pot going to flop is 6300...

flop is A Q J...the blinds check, and i check...what do people think of this check here?
Old 03-30-2007, 11:49 AM

Default Re: AK Line Question

standard?
Old 03-30-2007, 12:08 PM

WTF do you have?
Old 03-30-2007, 12:20 PM

I put him on AK
Old 03-30-2007, 12:43 PM

preflop stinks if you ask me with stacks like this. your opponents are going to usually play really well, unless they are not folding AT AJ preflop. Limp and call is much better if you ask me.

-Jason
Old 03-30-2007, 12:44 PM

and yes ck is very standard, free cards not as big a concern with getting it in very bad, which will likely happen a lot given this pf action
Old 03-30-2007, 01:38 PM

i figured this was the response i was going to get...just didnt feel great while the hand played out, so i posted...
Old 03-30-2007, 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i figured this was the response i was going to get...just didnt feel great while the hand played out, so i posted...

[/ QUOTE ]

It's ok the check. You could be ahead or behind, and if you are behind betting is really wrong, if you are behind, checking is correct. If you ahead, betting is not right, if you are ahead, checking is not a big mistake. Adding this all ... makes checking standard [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] No limit is about minimizing your mistakes and you did just that.
Old 03-30-2007, 04:13 PM

I like the check. Hardly any free cards hurt you and you have 4 outs to the nuts.
Old 03-31-2007, 12:38 AM

The pre-flop reraise in a loose game with AK is horrendous. The reraise won't take it down right there most of the time since the game is great action, and AK is NOT The hand you want to try and scoop a monster pot with in these kind of games. You really think one pair is either a) going to hold up OR b) the kind of hand that can take a lot of heat against aggressive opponents? Limp reraising with AK in no limit after a series of limpers and a raise derives much of its value in fold equity, and you don't seem to have much of it here in a loose game with huge pots.

The flop check is fine, but this illustrates even more so why the AK reraise to create the huge pot is problematic. Look how carefully you have to play it. If you reraise with AA or QQ in this spot then this flop is gin--even against broadway you are live, and you can play your hand aggressively.

Fix this leak.