Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2007, 01:45 AM

Default Dealing the WSOP this year

Just wondering if anyone here is going to go and deal it?

I know the dealers last year got royally screwed but I heard they are going back to old payrates. Does anyone have any info on this?

I will be flying out next tuesday for an audition and im wondering what to expect. Does anyone think it looks promissing this year?

Thanks
Old 03-31-2007, 01:52 AM

Default Re: Dealing the WSOP this year

After the way Harrahs has killed this for dealers, I wouldn't waste your time if you have a current job. You won't make much more money and you'll have to pay extra living expenses for the 2 months.
Old 03-31-2007, 02:42 AM

Elaborate on this a bit? I'd like to hear what happended to the dealers if you can. Thanks.
Old 03-31-2007, 02:54 AM

there are a few posts about it somewhere on here but i cant find them. i found an article about it on nwp though.

http://www.neverwinpoker.com/phpnuke...ic&t=25157
Old 03-31-2007, 03:22 AM

I heard many complaints about this although I only played a couple of side events. In the 1k stud8 we had the same dealer for either 4 or 5 hours straight. This was towards the end of the events and our dealer made it clear this was the reason there were no dealers, because they weren't getting what was promised although I had no idea it was this bad until after the ME.
Old 03-31-2007, 03:36 AM

i just hope the rumors ive heard are true about old payrates and better management. if anyone knows anything about this please post here before i even waste my time auditioning for this.
Old 03-31-2007, 03:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i just hope the rumors ive heard are true about old payrates and better management. if anyone knows anything about this please post here before i even waste my time auditioning for this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have heard they have made changes this year, but the thing with Harrah's and poker is you can never be sure if they are being truthful.
Old 03-31-2007, 05:18 AM

I can shed a small bit of light.

- Harrah's is allowing dealers who work for Harrah's properties (at least the ones in Las Vegas) to sign up and deal the WSOP. These dealers will be given first priority at the WSOP and won't be allowed to deal for their "home" property during the event (i.e. dealers transferring over from say, Caesars, are dealing strictly at the Rio for the 6+ weeks).

- Cash game tokes will not be pooled with the rest of the tokes, like they were last year. Dealers will be keeping all their own cash game earnings.

That's all I know. No idea what they're doing for a toke committee.

All I know is, as far as I go, there's no f'n way I'm dealing anywhere during the Series. I'm playin' cash games instead of being stuck in the box for 10+ hours each and every day for 7 straight weeks.
Old 03-31-2007, 05:34 AM

I was told not only is Harrah's "allowing" dealers to work the WSOP, they may require it if they don't get enough good dealers. Dealer told me he was VERY not happy with this, and did not want to work the WSOP, but they were told this year the WSOP folks were serious about having quality dealers so if push came to shove, they were forcably moving the regular dealers to work at Rio and the temps would fill in at the other properties.

Haven't heard any confirmations or denials from other Harrah's dealers, but I haven't gone looking.
Old 03-31-2007, 06:20 AM

Wouldn't doubt it happening.

I found out that Harrahs' "emergency plan" last year after the dealers started walking out was that if too many left, they were gonna close down all the Harrahs-owned rooms in town and bring all the respective dealers in to close out the WSOP.

Ever since then there's been inside talk of having all the Harrahs properties send in their top x amount of dealers to do the WSOP, but guess that didn't fly (just yet), thus the voluntary sign-ups. And again, all Harrahs employees will get first priority, so all sign-ups will be dealing the WSOP, and Harrahs will then fill out the dealer staff from there.