Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2007, 04:38 PM

Default The Sopranos

So for some inconceivable reason I never got around to watching The Sopranos until a couple of weeks ago (I blame terrorism). In those 2 weeks I have eaten up almost all six seasons and - WOW! What a [censored] show! This is pretty much the best drama in the history of television, right? I'm having trouble even thinking of shows I can honestly compare it to. Exactly how much of this is based on the fact that I am still wrapped up in it presently remains to be seen but I really can't imagine my opinion changing too much here - I'm really blown away by the way the show reeks of high quality in every area.

IMO the only real weak spots in the show were early season 3, but half the season had to be rewritten quickly (to alter the storyline about Tony trying to stop his mother from testifying about the airline tickets) because the actress playing Tony's mother had died and obviously that's in no way the fault of anyone. There were hit-or-miss episodes here and there, but all in all the consistent, setting standards awesomeness of this show is virtually unheard of.

I really feel like HBO is setting a major precedent in television with it's choice in shows and the production value/quality it puts behind them, and with the news that it has picked up 'Song of Ice and Fire' and 'Preacher' it doesn't look like they are going to be losing steam anytime soon.

So anyways, the final 9 episodes are a little over 2 weeks away (April 8th), and I wanted to start a thread to get some pre-show Sopranos discussion going. I for one am unbelievably pumped for this.
Old 03-21-2007, 04:48 PM

Default Re: The Sopranos

i need to re-sub to HBO

I watched Seasons 1-4 in just a few sittings. The show is great. I've been watching it on A&E lately. I think the show was much better in the old seasons though.
Old 03-21-2007, 04:50 PM

years ago my girlfriend and i were at her parents' place getting reading to go out for the night. her mom had recorded season 1-2 and i had heard the buzz so i wanted to see what the fuss was about so i figured id pop the tape in while i got ready.

my gf called her friends and told them we'd be an hour late. then she called them back and cancelled. we stayed up all night and watched all both seasons.

there's never been a better show on tv in my opinion.
Old 03-21-2007, 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the show was much better in the old seasons though.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the nature of any show though, regardless of whether it actually drops in quality or not. For most people it is more interesting to learn about characters than to learn more about characters. Personally, I enjoy watching characters develop even if the advancements are subtler.
Old 03-21-2007, 04:56 PM

Hopefully the upcoming Season 6 Part 2 finishes off the series good. I found the final episode of S6 P1 to be very disappointing, as nothing really happened.
Old 03-21-2007, 04:57 PM

I was just talking about this yesterday. Can anyone think of a way they can end the series that will appease most viewers?

It's like the Seinfeld Paradox.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:01 PM

Series cant end in a way thats going to appease everyone. I have heard the last two episodes haven't even been shot yet.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think the show was much better in the old seasons though.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the nature of any show though, regardless of whether it actually drops in quality or not. It is always more interesting to learn about characters than to learn more about characters.

[/ QUOTE ]

Usually true, but see The Wire. That show has been reimagined and broadened every year, so that each season becomes more powerful, more original, and more important than the last. A show only necessarily declines if the creators are content to tell the same stories over and over again.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Can anyone think of a way they can end the series that will appease most viewers?

[/ QUOTE ]

This might work.
Coming Soon- Sopranos: The Movie

Years ago, I hoped the series would end with Tony on trial, being found guilty, and then being locked in a tiny cell in the final scene. There seems to be no chance of that happening now.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:07 PM

I haven't seen The Wire yet either [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] (I blame gay marriage). My next undertaking will either be The Wire or Carnivale, most likely The Wire based on the reviews in OOT.