Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2007, 12:38 PM

Default BM Bankroll Requirements Different Than Online?

Are the bankroll requirements for online considered a good guildline for live play as well? Meaning 10-15 Buyins at the low stakes NL and 20-25 buyins at higher stakes NL? Or is it possible to get by with less? Let's say I'm playing 1/2 at Borgata which has a max buy in of $300, is $3,000 an adequit bankroll? Honestly, that seems like major overkill to me, buy im interested to here opinions.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:01 PM

Default Re: BM Bankroll Requirements Different Than Online?

I think that the requirements you have outlined are fairly reasonable.

Having said that, I've been playing live for a year and am not rolled for the stakes I play. I came very close to going busto about 3 months ago, but thankfully won a tourny to resurrect my bankroll.

When in doubt, have a bigger roll. Or, conversely, play stakes smaller than you think you need to.

- Rob
Old 03-28-2007, 01:01 PM

Are you a recreational player or trying to become a professional player? If you are a recreational player, $3,000 is more than adequate to play 1-2 NL. If you are trying to play professionally, you probably shouldn't be playing 1-2, and you need to have a much larger bankroll than that.
Old 03-28-2007, 03:13 PM

dont have a answer here but since BM is mostly full ring what impact does this have on bankroll requirements
for those of us why play shorthand online?
Old 03-28-2007, 03:49 PM

Some people may have to grind it out at 1/2 NL even if they want to play professionally to start. You cant just tell someone if you want to be a pro play higher lol. This person is asking this because 3k probably seems a little too much for such an easy game to beat. I started with 2 buy-ins, but I have a job. I have not had to add to my br from work and now I have about $1,600. I feel comfortable in that game with that sized br, but if you plan on moving up to 2/5 at some point you are probably going to want anywhere between 20-30 buy ins. I guess I agree with NickMPK, but I just don't agree with his advice to just get more money and start at a higher limit. If you are planning on playing professionally, 1/2 NL is the best place to start I believe. It's a grind, it's sooooo frustrating at times, you are going to get bad beats, and so on. A lot of the little things that you need in order to become a good player can come from playing in the smaller limits. If you have a job, you don't need a solid br because you can replace your probably unfortunate losses, if you dont...I highly suggest playing as deep at 20-30 buy ins in your br.
Old 03-28-2007, 05:31 PM

To be quite honest everyone's opinion and advice is great. My recommendation is when playing live you should have 20-25 buy-ins. The reason I say this is that you will experience droughts where you will lose 4-5 buy-ins and in your case that will ultimately change your style of play due to the size of your bankroll. Once your bankroll is in jeopardy you will feel heat and change your style of play. 1/2 especially with all the lose play you are bound to have losing streaks. But good luck with everything
Old 03-28-2007, 05:38 PM

Standard stories I hear every few months...

"I quit my job and I've been playing professionally for almost a year and was doing so good, but then I had a run of bad luck and the last three months have wiped me out. I had to get a job last week."

...or...

"I was doing great until my car broke down and I had to take $2000 out of my poker bankroll and then I hit a rough patch and got wiped out."

...or...

"I was doing fine until I got sick and couldn't play for a month..."

Don't underestimate bankroll requirements if it's important to you that the BR never reach 0.
Old 03-28-2007, 05:44 PM

Well said bav when considering poker as a profession it is not an overrated concept at lower levels as people think. It is important to keep big bankroll and I recommend even have savings set up for emergency bills that may come up (not for poker playing but for living expenses.)
Old 03-28-2007, 10:28 PM

I don't play a lot of NL, but in my experience, it is always better to be over rolled for the games you play. It seems like many people have about 12k to play with and play 40-80 seriously. This is fine if you are willing to move down to 20-40 if your bankroll falls to 6k (and to 10-20 if it drops to 3k), but most people simply are unwilling to do this and will toss around the blue chips till they are flat broke and watching from the sidelines (either due to variance or the inability to admit they can't beat the game). I've seen it many, many times. You should play a limit where you can play as well as possible without money pressure (and by pressure I mean, the swings shouldn't make you sweat - the money should, however, mean something, so you're not too tempted to gamble it up).

Jeff
Old 03-29-2007, 08:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It seems like many people have about 12k to play with and play 40-80 seriously. This is fine if you are willing to move down to 20-40 if your bankroll falls to 6k (and to 10-20 if it drops to 3k), but most people simply are unwilling to do this and will toss around the blue chips till they are flat broke and watching from the sidelines (either due to variance or the inability to admit they can't beat the game).

[/ QUOTE ]

And Jeff wonders why I resist his constant invitations to the 40-80 game....