Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2007, 01:30 AM

Default Viniterra Sparkling Malbec (2006)

So the lady friend and I were seeing the Holmes Brothers down at Joe's Cafe or whatever it's called a while back and we stopped in Astor Wines and Liquors, which is supposed to be a great spirit shop down on the Lower East Side. It was pretty cool. After grabbing a bunch of other bottles of tequila, sake and wine, we picked this sparkling red up and tucked it away.

I had never tried or heard of a sparkling red wine before, but we ended up drinking it tonight. For ten bucks it was pretty good. I'm not much of a wine guy, but I was surprised that it was much lighter and fruitier than the other Malbecs I have had from South America. I guess this is typical for sparkling reds. I drank this wine with some trepidation but the ladies loved it. I found it a little bit tart at first but quite drinkable. Here is the Astor blurb about it. Couldn't find much else about it from a cursory look.

Do any of you wine guys here have much experience with sparkling reds? Any that you particularly like? Are other varietals used in this fashion as well?
Old 04-02-2007, 01:42 AM

Default Re: Viniterra Sparkling Malbec (2006)

Here is a link to a brief review, gave it an 83, said 'too much flavor' as more or less the only comment.

This looks like a semi-official site for the brand.

To elaborate a little bit... I thought the bottle was pleasant to drink, the flavors came on a bit strong at first, with some tart, fruity elements - maybe this is what the reviewer above was referring to. The color and carbonation was light and refreshing with a mild finish. I don't know much about wine, that's the best I can do. If you're interested in trying a sparkling red and like lighter, fruitier red wines I can't see it being a bad place to start.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:08 AM

Default Re: Viniterra Sparkling Malbec (2006)

Sparkling reds are pretty commonplace in Australia. I actually didn't know there were any other countries making them. By far the most common variety used is shiraz, followed by various blends. Other varietals are less common but certainly not unheard of; I've seen malbec, merlot, cabernet and chambourcin before.

Sparkling reds range in style from light and sweet (all the cheap ones are like this) to richer and more chocolatey/savoury. Comparing sparkling and still reds is roughly the same as the comparison between sparkling and still whites.

One of the good things about sparkling reds is that even many of the very cheap ones tend to be perfectly drinkable. Something like Banrock Station, which goes for about $10, is pretty decent for the price.

Here's a post I made on the subject in another thread earlier:

[ QUOTE ]
I come from the state in Australia where most of these wines are produced (South Australia). I guess they are common, it depends on your definition. Still wines and sparkling white are both a lot more common, but many restaurants and bars will have a by the glass sparkling red available.

Of the wines that might be available in the US, at the top end (~$50) Primo Estate "Joseph" Sparkling Red and E & E "Black Pepper" Sparkling Shiraz are both very good. At the lower priced end (probably ~$20) Seppelt's Original Sparkling Shiraz is good value. I have a few other favorites but there's little chance they'd be available overseas.

They should be served chilled, same as champagne.

[/ QUOTE ]