Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2007, 09:28 PM

Default A contination of the chopping thread

My rule is usually as follows:
I chop. unless. . .the table is 6handed or fewer.

However, I do not like to chop when seated to the left of a terrible loose passive or to the right of a terrible weak-tight. These instances are few (sitting next to action eddie from foxwoods rings a bell) but they have caused some controversy over the "always chop or never chop rule"

I always declare my intentions before hand when I arrive to the table. Am I out of line?
Old 03-26-2007, 09:32 PM

Default Re: A contination of the chopping thread

As long as you declare your intentions as you sit, or when a new player sits next to you, it's your perogative to chop or not to chop. It's your money. Play it how you like.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

However, I do not like to chop when seated to the left of a terrible loose passive or to the right of a terrible weak-tight. These instances are few (sitting next to action eddie from foxwoods rings a bell) but they have caused some controversy over the "always chop or never chop rule"

[/ QUOTE ]

If you chop in the SB, you should chop in the BB (as long as both neighbors want to chop). You take the good with the bad. If one direction is too juicy to chop, don't chop the other direction.

Announcing when you sit down (including that you don't when it gets down to 6 or less) is the best way.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:51 PM

Agreed. Where I play, at the mid-limits most tend to chop at 6-handed, play at 5-handed. 5-handed is when the jackpot drop goes away, and is also too short for chopping to make much sense, anyway.

As long as you state your intentions and are consistent, it's not a problem. I'm pretty sure if a fish sat down and you changed your chopping status, others at the table would recognize and respect it.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
However, I do not like to chop when seated to the left of a terrible loose passive or to the right of a terrible weak-tight. These instances... have caused some controversy over the "always chop or never chop rule"

I always declare my intentions before hand when I arrive to the table. Am I out of line?

[/ QUOTE ]I'm confused: You always declare, "I'll chop unless a terrible loose-passive person sits to my right, or a terrible weak-tight person sits to my left"?

pfapfap said: [ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure if a fish sat down and you changed your chopping status, others at the table would recognize and respect it.

[/ QUOTE ]Ugh. No way. There are few things that will piss off a table more than a selective chopper. They remember that for months, even if they weren't the 'victim'.

I think many 2+2ers forget that most poker players are there for the social aspect of the game. They accept that they might be playing with a few "professionals" as long as they still get the entertainment factor. But they don't want to think that they're sitting with a cut-throat who will stoop to low levels to squeeze every penny from them and their friends.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:04 AM

check your spelling
Old 03-27-2007, 01:00 AM

At CAZ there are many in the 20 and higher games who don't chop and that is fine. I always chop (trying to keep the game sociable) but it's standard to declare 'no chopping' when it gets to 5 handed. Most everybody accepts this.

This business of I chop except when this, that and the other thing would be unacceptable to me and most others that I know. If they see you do this w/ anyone they will take advantage of your policy as best they can by chopping or not chopping according to their hands. IOW, they will extend you NO courtesy.
Old 03-27-2007, 02:07 AM

Yeah, I think I was smoking crack. I've not been well, forgive me.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:42 AM

Location: just a skinny azzzed short stacking gossip hurling trouble maker

i just stopped chopping 2-3 years ago

if you just always do something it simplifies things
Old 03-27-2007, 04:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure if a fish sat down and you changed your chopping status, others at the table would recognize and respect it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah right.

Most people think everyone else is a fish, most can't recognize a good player, much less a beneficial move for a good player. They won't get the connection. They'll likely see it as selective/inconsistent chopping.

Not to mention, who only chops with the guy on their right, yet not the guy on their left? One of the stupider ideas I've seen in awhile.

You'd probably lose some respect by doing this. Kind of like the (korean)guy in my room that only chops with Koreans. Of course that makes everyong feel good at the table that isn't korean.

b