Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2007, 11:35 PM

Default Inability to win

It seems that the last month + im going through a stretch where I'll have a day where everything goes right. I win my flips, my good hands hold up in the 70/30 or better situations. Basically, everything is rolling along smoothly. This happens for one day and ONE day only then i proceed to get sucked out on or run into coolers non-stop for the next 2-3 days afterwards. Has anyone else experienced something like this recently? I don't consider taking time off to be an option... time off doesn't change the fact of constantly running into coolers.
Old 04-26-2007, 11:38 PM

Default Re: Inability to win

sigh. welcome to the world of poker and variance. sorry to say that it gets much worse.

gl.
Old 04-26-2007, 11:42 PM

I don't think you understand... when I say nothing goes right I mean getting outdrawn no matter how big of a favorite I am for 8 hours ++ while 10-12 tabling. I understand negative variance and positive variance... but it seems I am the victim of never-ending negative variance. Im constantly getting beat by people who obviously have no clue how to play (limping 95 sooooted UTG, A4 OS UTG, etc). Its just so frustrating knowing that you're losing to complete idiots.
Old 04-27-2007, 12:41 AM

I don't think you understand. What you're describing is luck. Psychology would be where you wanted to lose. Also very common. Try to distinguish the two.
Old 04-27-2007, 09:37 AM

what stakes are you playing?
Old 04-27-2007, 09:55 AM

this happens to me too. to everyone. Just keep playing ur game, and try not to tilt too much away. Sometimes i run bad for 4 days, and then i get 2 days to make up for all the loses and im actually up.
Old 04-27-2007, 10:18 AM

Craggo,
I have been in your situation for the last year. Whenever I get a good run I end up feeling that I'm gonna get punished 10 fold for it. It's very frustrating to say the least. Just recently I have somewhat made the beats a little more bearable. I changed the way that I look at them. Did I play the hand correctly? Did I put money in when I was ahead or a favorite? I had to realize that I cannot control what card is coming next. I can't fall into the fear of loosing a pot when I'm ahead & become passive because of my "luck". When I focus on how "I" played the hand & not "that SOB called my raise with 96off & sucked out on me", & I'm satisfied with my play, I can take the beats a whole lot better. It actually makes me focus on the game more & is helping my game. That's just me though. I find myself laughing when I get sucked out on now. Maybe all the bad beats have made me numb & that’s why I laugh.
Old 04-27-2007, 10:29 AM

I reached a state now, where i look at results. If i look back at the hands i played, and if i know i played pretty well im happy, and i think i had a good day, even when im down. When im up 5 buy ins, but 4 of em earned by suckouts, im not happy. I think, if i play like this tommorow and the day after, i will lose.

somedays tho, i tilt it all away :P
Old 04-27-2007, 04:01 PM

It happens.
Old 04-27-2007, 04:02 PM

Yes.

Except I'm losing the 85+/15 situations. Can't win a showdown for a good size pot for the life of me.

Right now, I've had 12/15 losing weeks. Working on 13/16 now.

It's good times.

b