Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > BBV4Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2007, 06:11 AM

Default beat: smelling like weed must be probable cause for a search

I consider myself very lucky that I happened to not have any contraband on me tonight.

I was leaving a friends house at around 3am. I had smoked with them around 10pm or so. As soon as I pulled out of the neighborhood and onto the main street I saw those red and blue lights in my rearview mirror. I had a passenger who I was giving a ride home in the car also. Told him, well, it looks like I am getting pulled over, because there is certainly no one else on the road.

I pulled into a bank parking lot. Shut the car off, rolled my window down, and got out my drivers license. At this point I started to wonder what the hell I was being pulled over for. The officer came up to me. He told me he stopped me for making an improper left turn. That is right, he pulled me over for turning into the right lane instead of the left lane. He collected my license, and immediately asked me to step out of the car. So I did.

In an instant 2 more cars pulled up, and he was talking about how I smelled like weed. He asked me to put my hands behind my back, and I was thinking, damn, I guess I'm about to be arrested. He just held my hands behind my back. But the other officer put cuffs on my friend and had him sit on the curb.

The officer grilling me asked if I had been drinking. I said no, and I hadn't been. He asked why I was nervous, as the other 2 officers starting tearing apart my car, searching everywhere in it. I drive an 06 cobalt FWIW. I told him I was nervous because I had never been pulled over by 3 cops before. That seems reasonable to me, but he kept implying that I must have something to hide. He kept asking what I thought they would find. I said, "there is nothing illegal in my car".

Then he asked where I came from. I said a friends house. Then he asked me names, so I just told him a generic first name, and said I didn't know his last name.

After the search they said they found a tiny bit of "shake". They asked if I let friends roll "blunts" in my car. I said no. They said they found what looked like bits of seeds. Another officer remarked, "probably crushed by a "grinder"."

Finally they got the data back on me and my friends licenses and they were clean. He issued me a warning for the left turn, and they left.

The whole ordeal probably took around 30 minutes. Overall I was impressed by their weed knowledge, But not at all impressed by their tactics, pulling me over for such a ridiculous issue.

But now I am 100% sure that I will move out of the US soon after college, as opposed to the 80% I was before this incident. I was not asked or even told that they would search my car. They just did it. I assume that the smell was the probable cause. Just curious, had they found a sack in my car, would that hold up in court? I think that it probably would. I know the burden of proof is on them for probably cause. I'm not sure how they can prove what I smelled like at that time, but for some reason I don't think that will matter.

I know that the traffic violation was not the reason I was pulled over. They were trying to catch drunk drivers.

In conclusion,

beat: pulled over and searched
variance: didn't have anything on me.
brag: didn't rat out my friends.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:15 AM

Default Re: beat: smelling like weed must be probable cause for a search

KKF?
Old 03-14-2007, 06:17 AM

Sleeper cells have been using the left turn into right lane for years to signal attacks, they were only doing their jobs.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:26 AM

Dude, this is so standard. Except I always leave in handcuffs. [censored] the POPO.

Brag-Didnt rat out ur friends. Standard, but nice
Old 03-14-2007, 06:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
KKF?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure KKF's story would have been more exciting than mine.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:38 AM

surprised they didn't follow up on where you were coming from. seems extremely speculative that you were at some dudes house and didn't know any last names at 2am on a weekday. should of said you were studying w/ Jennifer from your sociology class lol.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
surprised they didn't follow up on where you were coming from. seems extremely speculative that you were at some dudes house and didn't know any last names at 2am on a weekday. should of said you were studying w/ Jennifer from your sociology class lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ur a snitch huh?
Old 03-14-2007, 07:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I guess I just didn't have enough time for me and my buddy to think of matching stories that would have been any better than just saying a friends house.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sleeper cells have been using the left turn into right lane for years to signal attacks, they were only doing their jobs.

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't getting enough love!
Old 03-14-2007, 07:56 AM

Isn't that what caused them to search the blues travlers guy car and they found like 3 rifles, 9 handguns, pocket knives and night vision gogles.