Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2007, 08:00 AM

Default 25 NL AA Facing Huge River Bet

Only 25 hands on villian but he was 50/0/.3

The donk bet on the flop could be anything I guess. Didn't want to fold a worse hand by raising I guess so I just called, same on the turn but the bet wasn't as donkish I guess. I played it really passive postflop in his eyes I guess but this river bet of almost 2x pot seems way out of line and if he was gonna bluff he didn't have to go that big I was thinking.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

MP2 ($35.85)
MP3 ($23.95)
Hero ($24.05)
Button ($23.15)
SB ($22.10)
BB ($6)
UTG ($35.25)
UTG+1 ($43.15)
MP1 ($24.65)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls $0.25, UTG+1 calls $0.25, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $1.5</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, UTG calls $1.25, UTG+1 calls $1.25.

Flop: ($4.85) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets $0.5</font>, Hero calls $0.50, UTG calls $0.50.

Turn: ($6.35) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets $2.25</font>, Hero calls $2.25, UTG folds.

River: ($10.85) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets $17.25</font>, Hero ?
Old 03-21-2007, 08:32 AM

Default Re: 25 NL AA Facing Huge River Bet

You need to raise that flop to 5ish. If he reraises then its up to reads, with this passive of a player a 2xminbet/3bet would probly be a set or the other aa. At this level he'll call here with a ten, 88, 77 what ever he donkbets into you with. It looks like he did it with a 3 and hit his 5 outer on the river. Raise flop, push turn. as played fold river
Old 03-21-2007, 09:59 AM

Why on earth are you just calling the flop bet with so many players in the pot? You are giving a free card and that's just foolish with that many involved. You have to fold the river as played. YOu really missplayed the hand sir. You need to reraise his flop bet to about $4.00 or somewhere in that range and then determine your line after he either calls/raises.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:09 AM

Yeah I dunno why I didn't raise the flop. I guess I thought it would help disguise my hand a little and extract more from weaker ones and maybe help me lose less in a WA/WB situation if he keeps donk betting. I guess I really wanted to get to showdown and didn't want to play a big pot with one pair when I really couldn't put this guy on a range at all with his 50% VPIP. Looking back though yeah it broadcasts my hand but I should've raised.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess I thought it would help disguise my hand a little and extract more from weaker ones and maybe help me lose less in a WA/WB situation if he keeps donk betting

[/ QUOTE ]

You disguised your hand so well that you have no idea what it's worth anymore. If you were going to bet this flop (which you should), then his $.50 should change nothing. Just raise to what you would have bet, maybe add $.50 or $1. Usually these tiny bets mean a weak hand which wants a cheap card. The only time I'll smooth call one of these is when I'm the one who needs the free card. If you raise, he'll probaly fold, but you'll be $5 richer at least, and won't have a difficult river decision. If you really don't want to play a big pot, checking behind on the turn is a much better option than smooth calling the flop and turn. His bet is basically like a check, so the flop might as well have been checked through.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:52 AM

Very good advice and excellent reasoning. Thank you. I usually do raise here but I guess I got a case of the FPS and a little bit of scared play from building big pots and getting drawn out on. Yeah, $5 is $5 should've taken it while it was there. And I did fold this river since his bet just seemed so absurd.