Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2007, 02:26 AM

Default again a question about pp Nl 0.5-1hu (8-8 this time!)

ok guys, tonigth I found myself in a spot where I said to myself, I have to ask the guys on 2+2!!!

Have played around 40hands vs vilain. He has around 31$ and I cover him (89$ or so...)

I have been pretty agressive on button and last 5 times i was on button I raised 3BB to 4.5BB when this hand occured...

I was on button and raised with 88 to 3.50$ then vilain reraised me to 11$.Given the fact that I was always raising , I said to myself: he tries to stop me... So I called thinking my 8-8 was good here.

Flop: 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] j [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
then vilain shoved his remaining 20$ betting the pot

I have 2 questions here:
First, was my call correct here? should I have shoved preflop or is the fold the + EV otpion here?

Second question: What do I do in the situation here where I called and vilain shoved on flop?

I will give the result of the hand after the comments...
Tx in advance for the answers....
Old 03-18-2007, 02:32 AM

Default Re: again a question about pp Nl 0.5-1hu (8-8 this time!)

I think you should stand up because you cant beat the rake at 100nl with a player that has $31. Villain would have to be a real nit for me to not shove preflop.
Old 03-18-2007, 07:34 AM

why are you raising to 4,5 bb preflop?
Old 03-18-2007, 11:55 AM

First of all, this hand I was raising to 3.5BB (the reason is that on pokerroom, if you raise 3$, it will not raise to 3$, but it will raise 3$ total so that,s why my range is from 3.5BB to 4.5BB.

Now why not always raise 3.5BB?? simply to mix a bit and believe it or not, it makes a difference for the number of calls I get. I like to know how my opponent responds to my raise. When i suddenly raise to 4.5$ instead of 3.5$, the opponnent usually respond 2 ways: he thinks this time my hand is more valuable and he folds easier or he thinks this time my hand is more vulnerable and will try to come over the top. Only 1$ more, but the strength of my hand is perceived really diferently from my opponent. when I know how my opponent respond to my different raise, I can use this to my adavantage... If the guy wants to push me out, ill do it a bit more often with premium hands and if the guy is tigther, I'll do it with more medium hands (maybe 30% best hands)

On FTP, the usual raise is the pot raise so it,s always 3$ and I realized that people are always calling you preflop or a lot more than on pokerroom.... sometime changing your raise migth put your opponent in jeopardy and thats why I do it

if you have any comments....
Old 03-18-2007, 12:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you should stand up because you cant beat the rake at 100nl with a player that has $31. Villain would have to be a real nit for me to not shove preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Cwar, the only part I disagree is that you can,t beat the rake at that level against short stacks... I found it was the opposite, it,s easier to beat the rake vs short stacks (40BB or less). Why is that??? Simply because the Hu last usually less than 30 hands and it's not rare to see someone to try to bluff you for all his chips in the first 5 hands cause they feel like they have to push due to the difference of chips...It,s so easy to trap them because they become pot commited in no time...

I know ppeople will say: just do some 50$ sng and you will pay only 2.5$. But sng's are lot longer, when you are vs an opponent you don't like you can't quit and when I'm vs a pure fish, I can reload to take my money back wich happened so many times to me... I have been playing for 4 months Hu Nl 0.5-1 and I make more money there than anywhere else I played before....

I would like to play higher, but I need a bigger bankroll and even at 1-2NL its not that much better... so ill have to wait till I reach 2-4NL (I migth never reach that level also!!!) I have a rake back deal that helps a bit...

my 2 cents [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 03-21-2007, 12:47 AM

Finnally The results:

I called here assuming that I was still ahead. I was pretty sure this guy wanted me out of the pot with his reraise so for me it means AQ-AK and on this flop I was not rigth...
the guy had 44... he tried to push me out of the pot and I won his stack....
Old 03-21-2007, 03:43 AM

oh you run good op
move up