Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2007, 04:16 PM

Default Is Triple Draw really worth it?

Reading some posts here, and my own admittedly small sample of experiences, is leading me to think that the edge a good player might have in this game, certainly from 30-60 levels and above, are not worth the massive variance. A bit like short handed holdem, but much worse. Thoughts and views?

cheers

Dave
Old 01-27-2007, 04:27 PM

Default Re: Is Triple Draw really worth it?

nah, ain't worth it.

Wait no. Yes it is. If you can make a better BB/100 at any game you should play it, despite variance. If your bankroll can't handle it then don't play. I play 5cd because I'm good at it. If I could make 5BB/100 at 10/20 hold em' I'd do it instead. Also, some people like being really good at one thing, or find it more fun. This special feeling may be worth the variance.

That's just MO
Old 01-27-2007, 05:30 PM

playing 300-600 with people who dont know the rules is definitely +ev
Old 01-27-2007, 06:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Reading some posts here, and my own admittedly small sample of experiences, is leading me to think that the edge a good player might have in this game, certainly from 30-60 levels and above, are not worth the massive variance. A bit like short handed holdem, but much worse. Thoughts and views?

cheers

Dave

[/ QUOTE ]

The variance is huge. No, it is not worth it. There are other games that have less variance and more bad players. There is a good reason why Triple Draw Lowball has not taken the poker world by storm and variance is it. As Joey Hawthorne/Doyle Brunson wrote in SSI: 'lowball is a disease not a game' or words to that poetic effect. The same is true of Triple Draw Lowball.
Old 01-27-2007, 08:24 PM

If you want to play in mix games with awful players for high stakes, you have to know how to play a draw game or two. TDL is fun, high variance, mega gambool, but fun, reason enough for me.

-DeathDonkey
Old 01-27-2007, 10:19 PM

...and don't forget how well TDL will refine skills you'll use in every game.

--Nate
Old 01-27-2007, 10:32 PM

why not learn badugi?
Old 01-28-2007, 03:37 AM

Action players are attracted to games with high variance. If you want to play with them, you have to play the action games. BTW, you haven't said anything about TD that wasn't once said about PLO.

Most of the posts here are about limit thiple draw. Think how much fun (and variance) you will have when the action dries up in limit and moves to pot limit, the way God meant triple draw to be played. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] They're not going to mail you the money, you have to get in there and mix it up.
Old 01-28-2007, 06:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you want to play in mix games with awful players for high stakes, you have to know how to play a draw game or two. TDL is fun, high variance, mega gambool, but fun, reason enough for me.

-DeathDonkey

[/ QUOTE ]

And TD / Badugi puts players on mega-tilt, which is great for when you switch away from TD. They are now must-adds to any mix game.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 01-28-2007, 06:59 AM

So far, the most compelling reason for playing the game seems to be that its fun. Which I agree that it is. But I unfortunately stopped playing poker for fun a long time ago. I can also understand and agree with the meta game reasons for mixed games, but this doesnt really work online. Doesn't seem a great idea to focus on it online so far [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

As to comparisons with PLO, well I would disagree. Sure PLO has variance, but it also has high win rates. And if triple draw becomes a PLO game I'm sure it will become the same, just as Badugi was when it was played PL before crossing the Atlantic.

cheers

Dave