Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2007, 03:19 AM

Default Music that makes you cry (warning: leave your machismo at the door)

As a music minor in college and absolute lover of all things musical I thought I would ask a question that most 2p2ers (especially BBV) are apt to ridicule. What song (or songs) can make you tear up every time you hear them? Why?

For me, Amazing grace on the bagpipes can tear me up every single time I hear it. From a musical perspective, I think there is alot going on that most casual listeners will not appreciate. In the first verse you have the classic melody played over a constant (and off key) chord. Then in the second verse, the discord is dropped and the full symphony comes in right on key. In my (very amateur) opinion this is brilliant because it subconsciously represents most people in that they have some discord with religion; but when it all comes together it can be a very powerful experience.

In my personal life, I had a friend who died on duty as a police officer and this song was played at the funeral on bagpipes and so naturally it is very vivid in my memory every time I hear it.

There are a few other songs that also resonate deeply with me; but I am interested to hear what your choices are and why.

Bagpipe Amazing grace
Old 03-18-2007, 11:43 AM

Default Re: Music that makes you cry (warning: leave your machismo at the door)

There is one song that does it for me. Especially when I sing it to myself a cappella. Unfortunately no one here will know it, because it's pretty obscure. "I love you heart and soul" from Joanne Mackell's only cd, "Local Gig in Paradise"

I've used it in the soundtrack for a couple family dvd's I made, one for my family and one for my girlfriend's. When I presented the one to my family this Christmas, a few of the copies got passed around and my brother's mother-in-law was so moved by this song that she requested it be played at her husband's funeral. I had to email them an mp3 and I felt obligated to let Joanne know I was doing this. She was more than pleased to have her music so appreciated.

As you are not likey to find a copy I'll type out the lyrics. Although it's the line about the kids that breaks me down every time, it's just as much Joanne's deep, gravelly, beautifully melodius voice and the simple acoustic guitar accompaniement that gets me. A slow country song.

After you left, I spent the morning in bed
and I thought of every word that we'd said
I went down to the beach and let the salty breeze
send the worrying right out of me

And I want to tell you something
when you come home
Baby I love you heart and soul

I stood by the door and watched the rain on the porch
as if I'd never seen such splendour before
and my heart it just stopped
as I held you there in my thoughts
and realized what a sweet life we've got

Chorus

Ask any of our friends to look what's happening to them
Nobody gives an inch to get along
Oh they take their mistakes
and they make their weekends alternate
between kids who wonder what they did wrong

I want to tell you something
when you come home
baby I love you heart and
I love you heart and
I love you heart and soul

If you're in Toronto you can catch Joanne Mackell and the Paradise Rangers around town. At least once a month at the Gladstone - next Saturday 6-9 for instance.
Old 03-18-2007, 12:25 PM

I have songs that make me want to sob my heart out but I wouldn't want to post the lyrics for fear you'll laugh. I've noticed that a lot of the songs I love have dreadful lyrics. Evidently, for me it's all in the melody.

For example, Lonely People by America. This is one of the saddest songs I've ever heard. Yet the lyrics are just kinda silly and schmaltzy if you stare at them on a page.

Also, the song Moon River makes me think of my great aunt who loved it so much. It makes me sad. It is a really sad song. It makes me think of old people who's wonderful lives are coming to a close and yet who have had such tremendous lives. It is the saddest song in the world to me.

Also, in some ways Pachebel's Cannon has been ruined for me because it was played at my father's funeral. The slowest, most melancholy version of Pachebel's cannon you can imagine. Oh my god, i miss my dad [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 03-18-2007, 12:37 PM

Wow fyodor, those are some very good lyrics. Most songs don't have such moving lyrics. Thanks for sharing that.
Old 03-18-2007, 12:53 PM

This one also does it for me -

Time of Your Life

So take the photographs, and still frames in your mind
Hang it on a shelf in good health and good time
Tattoos of memories and dead skin on trial
For what it's worth it was worth all the while

It's something unpredictable, but in the end is right.
I hope you had the time of your life.
Old 03-18-2007, 01:36 PM

Default Re: Music that makes you cry (warning: leave your machismo at the door

John Denver's "Sunshine on my Shoulder" always makes me tear up.

I have no idea why.
Old 03-18-2007, 02:35 PM

<font color="blue"> I'm not a country music fan, but "Don't Take the Girl" by Tim McGraw always gets me. Anyone out there who's a Father will understand this one. </font>
Old 03-18-2007, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="blue"> I'm not a country music fan, but "Don't Take the Girl" by Tim McGraw always gets me. Anyone out there who's a Father will understand this one. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

As a father I Agree.

Also, just try to keep dry eyes when they play his "Live like you were Dying" at a funeral while showing pictures of the deceased.

Aerosmith's "I Don't Want To Miss A Thing" also tears me up but that's a whole nother thing
Old 03-18-2007, 06:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

AHHHHHHHH!

I seriously consider that song to be the very WORST piece of crap ever perpetrated on the listening public. Horrible, horrible song.

But cry if you want to. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 03-18-2007, 06:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I seriously consider that song to be the very WORST piece of crap ever perpetrated on the listening public.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol. Surely we can come up with something worse if we try.