Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2007, 12:37 PM

Default Why i\'m thinking that individual stocks are the way to go right now

actively managed funds: fees to high

index funds: worldwide turmoil at the moment

commodities: ive read so many differing arguments for both sides as to why gold/silver will increase/decrease. as for other commodities again its a lottery right now.

which leaves individual stocks: if you can find the right ones, there is money to be made. party up 13.5% today. its up 56% from what i bought it at 3 months ago (yeah yeah i know i sold a bit over half my holdings in it at 32p becuase im a dick). last couple of months playtech 33% up, sportingbet 36%, 888 not in that bad shape, if only i'd got on the uranium wagon earlier that would be another 30% at least.

i cant help but think individual stocks are the way forward given this record so far.

but personally im putting my money in my savings account (bar the 20% i currently have in the market).

i dont want to get involved right now. although i will be keeping active in the portfolio im trying to devise on the other thread.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:52 PM

Default Re: Why i\'m thinking that individual stocks are the way to go right no

lol everyone on the forum keeps saying buy and hold index funds and you keep ignoring their advice.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
lol everyone on the forum keeps saying buy and hold index funds and you keep ignoring their advice.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
personally im putting my money in my savings account

[/ QUOTE ]

id rather do this than put it in index funds given current global climate.

im not putting my money in funds due to the advice people gave about UK fund fees being too high.

over the last month ive sold a number of my positions.

ive taken and acted on some advice so far, im just curious as to where people think the profit lies given current market conditions, i stated where i thought the profit lies and i hope others may say what there doing to make there $$$, thats all.

sorry if i sound a bit hacked off but my right hand is really bruised through football so i cant do anything except read over stuff on the internet. i just read a bunch of differing views about commodities and thought id combine that with the posts about fund fees.

anyways, gl all.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
personally im putting my money in my savings account

[/ QUOTE ]

id rather do this than put it in index funds given current global climate.

im not putting my money in funds due to the advice people gave about UK fund fees being too high.

over the last month ive sold a number of my positions.

ive taken and acted on some advice so far, im just curious as to where people think the profit lies given current market conditions, i stated where i thought the profit lies and i hope others may say what there doing to make there $$$, thats all.

sorry if i sound a bit hacked off but my right hand is really bruised through football so i cant do anything except read over stuff on the internet. i just read a bunch of differing views about commodities and thought id combine that with the posts about fund fees.

anyways, gl all.

[/ QUOTE ]

AIDS, seriously
Old 03-14-2007, 01:16 PM

John, for god's sake, just put your money in a savings account for a couple months while you figure out a little more about the stock market. Invest on paper for a while and see how your individual picks do.

The reason I'm telling you this is that you're asking very basic questions. In poker terms, you're just now figuring out that weak aces are not great starting hands. So just sit and collect 5.5% guaranteed from your savings account, and read and learn. Instead of putting your money into a hot stock, freaking out, and jumping into a new scheme. Calm down and take a breath.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
John, for god's sake, just put your money in a savings account for a couple months while you figure out a little more about the stock market. Invest on paper for a while and see how your individual picks do.

[/ QUOTE ]

thats exactly what im doing. im putting it all in my savings except for the small amount i currently own, then im hoping to get this portfolio of pooled knowledge on the other thread. i wont be putting any money in it but ill be tracking it and seeing how it goes and what i can learn from it.

sorry if i lower the tone on the forum with my lack of knowledge, just whatever im thinking i like to post to get feedback.

ive gone from put 30% of my money in commodities with another 30% in individual stocks to putting all into savings accounts through the advice of this forum.

i am very thankful for the advice.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:33 PM

john, most of my money is on etrade. 10% in one company, the rest in a cash optimiser account. Pays like 4.5% and I can take it out whenever I want. Im waiting until school quiets down and I can do my own research before just jumping into companies. Im also waiting for the market to settle, but thats another story. Look into an online broker with cash optimiser stuff.
Old 03-14-2007, 02:00 PM

John, sorry if I sounded nasty. Please continue asking questions. I just didn't want to see you lose your shirt by jumping into the deep end before knowing how to swim.
Old 03-14-2007, 02:12 PM

Default Re: Why i\'m thinking that individual stocks are the way to go right now

[ QUOTE ]
actively managed funds: fees to high <font color="blue"> 100% agree </font>
index funds: worldwide turmoil at the moment <font color="blue">thats such a broad claim its redic. Just think about the last 100 years, it could have been WW1, WW2, the Cold War, Vietnam, Middle East, etc,etc,etc always global risk- equities always rise over extended time periods. Also, that 'turmoil', or risk, is what gives equities their returns compared to no risk investments. </font>

commodities: ive read so many differing arguments for both sides as to why gold/silver will increase/decrease. as for other commodities again its a lottery right now. <font color="blue"> Commonidites over the long term, gold im sure, will have returns inline with inflation. Now, if you're talking about trading short term commodities contracts on 95% margin, good freaking luck. So ya, forget about commodities. </font>

which leaves individual stocks: if you can find the right ones <font color="blue">Can YOU find the right ones? And if you do, how will you know when to sell? </font> , there is money to be made. party up 13.5% today <font color="blue"> how many stocks were down 13.5%+ that day?</font> . its up 56% from what i bought it at 3 months ago (yeah yeah i know i sold a bit over half my holdings in it at 32p becuase im a dick). last couple of months playtech 33% up, sportingbet 36%, 888 not in that bad shape, if only i'd got on the uranium wagon earlier <font color="blue">Do not think like this, it will kill your sane mind. its so terribly results orients and frankly doesnt mean anything. </font> that would be another 30% at least.

i cant help but think individual stocks are the way forward given this record so far. <font color="blue"> Are you aware that mutual funds (index funds also) are made up of individual stocks? I only ask because you say that the 'global market makes funds too risky, yet you are willing to invest in the very pieces that these funds are comprised of. This is a very, very big contradiction. It could mean a number of things, such as you have no idea what you're talking about or you think you know soo much that you could put together your own 'fun' of individual stocks that would not be facing the same grave global risk that other funds face. You just seem to make very broad and ambiguous statements that have absolutey no wieght without lots of arguemnt or explanation backing them up. </font>

but personally im putting my money in my savings account (bar the 20% i currently have in the market). <font color="blue"> should probably be 100% until you have created a financial plan for yourself and are more knowledgable of finance and the markets in general.</font>

i dont want to get involved right now <font color="blue"> too late, you own some risky gambling stocks [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]</font> . although i will be keeping active in the portfolio im trying to devise on the other thread. <font color="blue"> contradicts the logic behind your savings account decision </font>

<font color="blue"> John, I do not mean to be a dick or anything like that. I honestly am trying to help here by showing some of the poor logic. Your post was literally all over the place. One minute you hate equities because the world is risky, the next you think stocks are the answer. One minute you decide putting your money in a money market account is the best, the next you talk about keeping positions in risky stocks. Very contradictory post. Try reading all of the books in the sticky, both books on active stock picking and books on efficient market theory. This will greatly help you. -Matt </font>

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-14-2007, 02:31 PM

i consider you very likely to lose a lot of money if you buy individual stocks. so factor that into your decision about which is best.