Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2007, 05:32 PM

Default Favorite First-round Buzzer-Beating Upset

1990 #14 Northern Iowa 74, #3 Missouri 71.

Maurice Newby had played well in the first half, been on the bench much of the second half, but he was in the game on the final possession and, with the clock running under five seconds, he launched a cold-blooded 25-footer from the left wing that banked in. The clock expired, and the University of Nothing Impossible (as one spectator sign called it) had beat a team that spent much of the season ranked in the top 5 in the nation.

The TV call of Newby's shot by Mike Patrick and Dan Bonner is also one of the best ever. You could hear both gasp when Newby put up the seemingly poor shot. Bonner, after the final horn noted that “he hasn't played in 10 minutes!”

This shows up on the clips of buzzer-beaters they air Thu and Fri morning before the tipoffs on CBS [or ESPN I forget which] but is left off most of the Top 10 and Top 20 lists, which is crazy.
Old 03-13-2007, 05:47 PM

Default Re: Favorite First-round Buzzer-Beating Upset

Bryce Drew with the headfirst slide.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:08 PM

(12) Creighton 83 vs. (5) Florida 82 -- March 15, 2002 -- Chicago, Ill.

The craziest 1st round game I recall ever seeing. The bluejays went on a 10-2 run at the end of regulation, capped by a Terrell Taylor 3ball, to force overtime. Each team scored a paltry 4 points in the first OT, and the game went into double OT. In both regulation and OT, Florida had the ball last and failed to score each time.

In the second overtime, Florida had the ball and a 2 point lead with less than 30 seconds to play, but turned the ball over when they failed to inbounds to ball in less than 5 seconds. Creighton held the ball for the last shot, and nearly turned the ball over, but it went out of bounds to CU with 4.5 seconds left.

Kyle Korver had fouled out earlier so Dana Altman called a play for Terrell Taylor. Taylor, who scored 28 points (all of which were in the 2nd half if my memory serves me correctly), dribbled a couple of times and pulled up behind the top of the 3 point line and nailed the game winning shot, at which point pandemonium erupted (lllinois was the 4 seed in that bracket so Creighton had a huge home court advantage).
Old 03-13-2007, 06:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bryce Drew with the headfirst slide.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-13-2007, 06:56 PM

Had Creighton ML +400 that game, was it the first one of the day/tourney as well? good times in the Luxor that day...
Old 03-13-2007, 07:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
(12) Creighton 83 vs. (5) Florida 82 -- March 15, 2002 -- Chicago, Ill.

The craziest 1st round game I recall ever seeing. The bluejays went on a 10-2 run at the end of regulation, capped by a Terrell Taylor 3ball, to force overtime. Each team scored a paltry 4 points in the first OT, and the game went into double OT. In both regulation and OT, Florida had the ball last and failed to score each time.

In the second overtime, Florida had the ball and a 2 point lead with less than 30 seconds to play, but turned the ball over when they failed to inbounds to ball in less than 5 seconds. Creighton held the ball for the last shot, and nearly turned the ball over, but it went out of bounds to CU with 4.5 seconds left.

Kyle Korver had fouled out earlier so Dana Altman called a play for Terrell Taylor. Taylor, who scored 28 points (all of which were in the 2nd half if my memory serves me correctly), dribbled a couple of times and pulled up behind the top of the 3 point line and nailed the game winning shot, at which point pandemonium erupted (lllinois was the 4 seed in that bracket so Creighton had a huge home court advantage).

[/ QUOTE ]

I was also at that game...loved it
probably my favorite as well simply because I was there
Old 03-13-2007, 07:26 PM

I don't know if it was a buzzer-beater, but Hampton's coach,who was about as wide as he was tall, wigging out when they won was super awesome.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:16 PM

10WVU over Dujuan Baker and 2Cincy in the 2nd round with the 3 off the glass.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:43 PM

Cant't remember if it was a buzzer beater really, but #15 Richmond over #2 Syracuse in '90 or '91.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cant't remember if it was a buzzer beater really, but #15 Richmond over #2 Syracuse in '90 or '91.

[/ QUOTE ]

not a buzzer beater, but still awesome. it was on espnclassic the other day.

least favorite buzzer beater: princeton over ucla [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]