Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2007, 01:36 PM

Default Fight our worst beat....the UIGEA!! -- Action plan for week of 3/12

<font color="red">Mods: I'd like to be able to keep this on the front page until Tuesday, if possible. Will you either sticky it or leave it unlocked until then so I can bump it a couple of times? Thanks. </font>

--------------------------------------------

Would you like to fight for your rights to play poker online? If so, please see my thread on the Legislation board about this week's plan to fight for the repeal of the UIGEA at Fight UIGEA!! -- Action plan for week of 3/12. Thanks.

P.S. Let's keep all the discussion on the main thread in Legislation.

--------------------------------------------

Over at BJ21.com and here, we got tired of having our rights trampled on, so we decided to do what we can to fight back. We plan to do something every week until we win the repeal of UIGEA. I hope everyone here will join in to help with the fight. Here's our jointly decided plan for the week of 3/12:

Let's focus our attention on Congressmen Ron Paul (R-TX), Paul Gillmor (R-OH), and Mel Watt (D-NC). All are members of the House Financial Services Committee, and Gillmor and Watt are also members of the the committee's Financial Institutions Subcommittee (responsibilities of this subcommittee includes banks). Paul and Watt voted against HR 4411 and are clear friends of ours (Ron Paul on Youtube). Gillmor is moderate who cosponsored HR 4411, so we have an opportunity to win someone over to the side of liberty and freedom.

Actions:
- (snail) mail Ron Paul, Paul Gillmor, and Mel Watt one letter each
- call Paul, Gillmor, and Watt twice
- email Paul, Gillmor, and Watt daily from 3/5 though 3/11
- if feeling ambitious, select members of the Financial Institutions Subcommittee closest to your home address to contact.
- if still feeling ambitious, print out letters for your friends to sign and mail

Some discussion points:

- This bill forces U.S. banks to act as the moral police of America; it shifts the costs to them as well.

- Stockholders in banks should complain about being forced to foot the bill for this.

- The issue with Neteller holding Americans' money in limbo.

- American companies are at risk of being completely shut out of the Internet gaming market. Existing Internet companies have already developed business models that don't rely on American players. America is losing a lot of potential revenue.

- The U.S. should desire a regulated market. That way, the U.S. can set and enforce the age limits. Also, money-laundering issues can be monitored.

- WTO compliance (info at www.antiguawto.com)

Thanks to everyone who participates. I'm looking forward this week's fight for our rights. Please reply to this thread if you participate. Thanks!
Old 03-11-2007, 04:57 PM

Default Re: Fight our worst beat....the UIGEA!! -- Action plan for week of 3/12

bump
Old 03-11-2007, 10:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
bump

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-12-2007, 07:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
bump

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-12-2007, 08:54 AM

BUUUUUUUUUUUUMP
Old 03-12-2007, 10:47 AM

Domo Origato Mr RoBUMPo
Old 03-12-2007, 02:56 PM

Default Re: Fight our worst beat....the UIGEA!! -- Action plan for week of 3/1

I don't like when politics actually affect me =( boo UIGEA
Old 03-12-2007, 02:57 PM

So I take it you don't like politics in general very much do you?
Old 03-12-2007, 06:37 PM

Old 03-12-2007, 06:46 PM

Example email:

I'd like to appeal to you to right an injustice committed against the American public during the last legislative session.

Congress passed the UIGEA, pushed onto the Port Security Bill by Senator Frist as a rider, which prohibits me and millions of others from playing the great game of poker on the Internet. Legislation that impacts millions of recreational poker players deserves more debate than a back-room deal and a rider on an undefeatable security bill by a retiring Senator.

Poker is a uniquely American game with deep roots in this country. Throughout history great Americans and Patriots such as Presidents Warren Harding and Dwight D. Eisenhower, General George Patton, Supreme Court justices like William Howard Taft and thousands more enjoyed poker with family and friends. There are millions of recreational players in this country and this law was a direct attack on all of them and their favorite hobby. The people affected by this law most are not degenerates looking for a score, rather, these are CEOs, Directors, Doctors, Lawyers, Judges, School Teachers, Policemen and Firemen. They enjoy spending recreational time playing a game of poker, much the same way as other people enjoy spending the weekend playing golf or going to the bowling alley. This legislation has targeted upstanding members of society and pushed an activity enjoyed by our most luminary historical figures into the back rooms and underground clubs. Even more appalling, even though the legislation was passed to prevent "internet gambling" both horse racing and state lotteries are exempted, showing the hypocrisy of the aforementioned Senator.

I am urging you to throw your considerable support towards repealing this law. Please note, that other forms of Internet "gambling" such as fantasy sports are already protected under this law. Repealing the law to protect an American tradition is sensible public policy and allows millions of poker pages to enjoy their hobby, rather than feeling as if they are criminals.

The passage of this law, in the middle of the night, by a retiring Senator with a personal agenda, not a constituent-based agenda, has moved thousands of poker players, a normally sedentary group of people, to action. In a matter of a week in November, poker players raised $10,000 for a single Senatorial campaign. The longer this lingers, the more involved poker players will become, and the more money and support they will be able to source.

I look forward to your support in this matter.

Thank you.