Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2007, 09:51 AM

Default Pentagon\'s Top General Calls Homosexuality \"Immoral\"

Link to Article

Here's my favorite quote:

[ QUOTE ]
"I do not believe the United States is well served by a policy that says it is OK to be immoral in any way."

[/ QUOTE ]

General Pace, with all due respect, LOL.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:11 AM

Default Re: Pentagon\'s Top General Calls Homosexuality \"Immoral\"

The PC police will be out in full force on this one. Like I have said before in this forum "progressives love free speech as long as it is progressive free speech."

I noticed the article referred to the 65,000 gay and lesbian currently serving...I thought we had a don't ask dont tell policy? Where is this number derived from?

I don't agree that gay and lesbian sex is immoral, (in fact I really really really like lipstick lesbians) but when did certain groups of people become "unoffendable"

Where do I sign up for my "you better not offend me because I am a member of group X" card.....this is America, where we have the right to our own thoughts and speech and opinions. With those rights, some people will get offended.

To the general I say " I do not agree that act is immoral"

To the people offended by the generals comments I say "Get over it, you whining wussies"

To people offended by this post I say "Too Damn Bad" [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 03-13-2007, 11:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The PC police will be out in full force on this one. Like I have said before in this forum "progressives love free speech as long as it is progressive free speech."

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, as far as I know, no one on the left is calling for General Pace to be thrown into prison for his comments -- so fear not, the respect for free speech remains.

"Free speech" != "I get to say whatever I want and no one can criticize me, lest they intrude on my First Amendment rights". In fact, a vibrant atmosphere of discourse where 'free speech' is protected means that even a military leader can expect to receive (sometimes harsh) criticism for whatever opinions they hold. Human rights FTW!

[ QUOTE ]
this is America, where we have the right to our own thoughts and speech and opinions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point! So when General Pace makes what some feel are offensive comments, those who feel he is out-of-line are allowed to express that. The system works.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:25 AM

With apologies to A.G.

[ QUOTE ]

I went over to the General, said, "General, you got a lot a damn gall to
ask me if I've rehabilitated myself, I mean, I mean, I mean that just, I'm
sittin' here on the bench, I mean I'm sittin here on the Group W bench
'cause you want to know if I'm moral enough join the army, burn women,
kids, houses and villages after bein' a homosexual." He looked at me and
said, "Kid, we don't like your kind, and we're gonna send you fingerprints
off to Washington."

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-13-2007, 11:40 AM

no he will not go to jail, but you can bet his resignation will be called for, if he does not resign, they will call for his removal.....his crime? he offended.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
no he will not go to jail, but you can bet his resignation will be called for, if he does not resign, they will call for his removal.....his crime? he offended.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay? Again, recall that you implied that 'progressives' and their imaginary paramilitary force, The PC Police, didn't respect free speech. So remind me -- what does calling for General Pace to apologize or resign have to do with free speech? ... other than, you know, send a signal that free speech is so widely respected that civilians can openly and publically demand for military leaders to apologize or resign if they so choose.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay? Again, recall that you implied that 'progressives' and their imaginary paramilitary force, The PC Police, didn't respect free speech. So remind me -- what does calling for General Pace to apologize or resign have to do with free speech? ... other than, you know, send a signal that free speech is widely respected enough that civilians can openly and publically demand that military leaders to resign if they so choose.

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG, u mean everyone's free speech is covered?

Calling homosexuals immoral is like calling pot smokers immoral or saying blacks are less intelligent. Its your right to say it, but that doesn't make it true AND normal people are gonna think you are a wacko for saying it.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Needlessly offending is silly, lacks good judgment, and is immoral. By the General's own standard he should be removed.

The don't ask/don't tell policy has been a pretty bad one for the military. It is downright scary that we are firing a whole slew of arabic translators because of their sexuality. It seems like we have our priorities just slightly out of line when our sexual mores are deemed more important that recruiting and maintaining a highly skilled armed services.

PERHAPS the middle ground is to keep the don't ask/don't tell policy in place in combat units (while I disagree with it, I think one can make a somewhat reasonable argument that the discomfort of the straight military men affects their performance because of the "close quarters" required in combat.)
Old 03-13-2007, 11:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Calling homosexuals immoral is like calling pot smokers immoral or saying blacks are less intelligent. Its your right to say it,

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently, it's your right to say gays are immoral, but then anyone who criticizes you for saying that is a PC Thug attempting to violate your First Amendment rights; remember the 'old quote' from pokerbobo, "progressives love free speech as long as it is progressive free speech."
Old 03-13-2007, 12:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
With apologies to A.G.

[ QUOTE ]

I went over to the General, said, "General, you got a lot a damn gall to
ask me if I've rehabilitated myself, I mean, I mean, I mean that just, I'm
sittin' here on the bench, I mean I'm sittin here on the Group W bench
'cause you want to know if I'm moral enough join the army, burn women,
kids, houses and villages after bein' a homosexual." He looked at me and
said, "Kid, we don't like your kind, and we're gonna send you fingerprints
off to Washington."

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I lol'ed.

It didn't take some imaginary "PC conspiracy" to deem that actions can cause reactions. Free speech action causes free speech reaction == free speech is working.