Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2007, 04:12 PM

Default FTP $24+2 DS Flop Top Set, Turn\'d FH ,River\'d Quad A\'s w/4limpers

Fairly early on and I wake up with this AWESOME hand. UTG is a solid thinking player, UTG+1 limps alot but seems to play pretty good after the flop. BB is new to table so no read.

My image is TAG and have only shown down big hands.

So, how do I maximize this hand??? I chose to check hoping somebody would catch up and/or decide to take a stab. Every street I improved making it worse.

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $40/$80
9 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, 5 folds, Hero calls, BB checks.

Flop: 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($320, 4 players)
Hero checks, BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks.

Turn: 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($320, 4 players)
Hero checks, BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks.

River: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($320, 4 players)
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="#cc0000">UTG bets $240</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#cc0000">Hero ???
Old 03-09-2007, 04:22 PM

Default Re: FTP $24+2 DS Flop Top Set, Turn\'d FH ,River\'d Quad A\'s w/4limpers

i would lead the turn, obviously if no one has anything you can't get paid but there might be a random 8 out there or a middling club draw that will call a turn bet.

River I would just raise whatever you think he will call.
Old 03-09-2007, 04:30 PM

Default Re: FTP $24+2 DS Flop Top Set, Turn\'d FH ,River\'d Quad A\'s w/4limpers

I think checking the flop is OK but I'd rather bet out. People are either [censored] scared, in which case you'll never build the pot, or they're not, in which case, you have options.

Turn is definitely a bet. River I tend to to shove because I think you get called by a boat enough times in the long run to make this the most +EV play. And people get really pissed off when you shove and don't show in these situations. And because I think showing down a slow play is generally a bad thing.
Old 03-09-2007, 04:32 PM

Post stack sizes.

Bet the turn!

Shove the river.

Do not slowplay monsters.
Old 03-09-2007, 07:58 PM

Sorry about not including info. Just got done 17th of 650. Yeah for me.

UTG 5430
UTG+1 5000
Hero 3880
BB 3799

I really thought UTG had a big pp and would make a move. I usually don't slow play big hands but I was really hoping a big card would hit turn/river to give somebody the 2nd nuts and then I could double up.

I ended up reraising UTG to 480, yeah pretty weak but didn't want him to fold,and his flop bet seem weak. He called and UTG+1 folded.

I was right UTG had QQ, I will definitely bet sooner next time and r/r all in on his river bet.
Old 03-10-2007, 02:07 AM

I absolutely hate the way you played the flop and turn.

By the end of the turn, the pot is still pitifully small, and you have allowed all and sundry to outdraw your "monster"

Firstly, you dont really have a monster on a flop.

Yes, you got trip aces, which is only good if someone has a worse ace than you, or if no one has one.

SO, you beat A2 A4 A5 A6 and A7, and lose to the others. SOmeone with a couple of clubs has got a free card on the flop, just what they wanted. Mr QQ also got the chance for a free card and then could easily stack you!

You must bet out at the flop, and reassess if you are raised, because you are likely outkicked/ villain already boated up.

Okay, on turn, we DO have a monster, and you proceed to milk exactly zero cents, let alone dollars out of your victims.

And, then, you proceed to check the river WTF WTF WTF????

Seriously, for playing the hand this way, you deserve to put your testicles in a vice and turn the handle till they pop out.

If you are afraid of losing customers when you bet, then bet say a third of the pot, instead of half or more.

I would have bet 150 on flop. If they all fold, i think 'well at least two clubs or two spades didnt get the chance to beat me'

If raised on the flop, watch out, because you are prolly drawing to your 8!

On turn, if we get a couple of callers, pot is about 750. We lead again for 3-500. If raised, we now raise.

River, okay, now villain has a boat, which we beat. SO, we make a bet we think he will call, or just shove it in there, and he will think 'well he cant have quads cause he wouldnt shove it, would he?' before hopefully calling

[ QUOTE ]

My image is TAG and have only shown down big hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunatly, you are thoroughly misguided in your assessment of yourself. WHile i only have one hand to go on, you are far from a tag, you are a little girl scout fishy whom is too afraid to bet.

Start betting your monsters, and your bluffs and your position plays.

If people are dropping to your monster bets, the problem is you are not aggro enough on your marginal hands, and smaller monsters!