Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2007, 05:47 PM

Default ITM%

My ITM % is around 30%, I thought this was very good for awhile but as I search for people around my tables on OPR I see that alot of the better players are ITM around 15-20% What do people think an optimal ITM% is? I'm thinking that maybe Im not aggressive enough on the bubble as I'm sure alot of these stronger players are going out on the bubble while trying to build their stacks for the final stretch.
Old 03-08-2007, 05:50 PM

Default Re: ITM%

You need to compare ITM% along with Top 3%. An ITM of 30% is horrible if your Top 3 is 0%. I have an ITM of about 20% and top 3 of 3%. Doesn't mean much if you continually just make the money in a lot of tournaments but don't go deep in any.
Old 03-08-2007, 05:54 PM

ITM% is like batting average and ROI% is like on base percentage.

While ITM% is an indicator of profitability its only significance is that it correlates highly with ROI.

Having a high ITM% might actually be an indication that you are playing too tight on the bubble and that you are sacrificing a shot at final tabling in order to make sure that you cash
Old 03-08-2007, 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

While ITM% is an indicator of profitability its only significance is that it correlates highly with ROI.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this alot.
Old 03-08-2007, 06:11 PM

alright, ROI = 145% and top 3 = 13%, but top 3 is skewed from playing alot of smaller fields like the 45 persons on Fulltilt... would you guys say these numbers are alright?
Old 03-08-2007, 06:16 PM

Do you care if you make the money? When you are on the bubble, do you really care if you bust just outside of the money, or finish just ITM?

Now, obviously, everyone wants to finish ITM to a degree. But, I think that if you ask yourself those questions, and think about how you really feel about them, it might be a stronger indicator of how you are playing on the bubble.

If you are playing well on the bubble, you are probably not thinking about making the money or anything like that at all. You are thinking about playing well and what you are going to have to do to win this tournament. You know that you are going to sometimes bubble, sometimes squeak in, sometimes go pretty deep, and then sometimes win or finish in the top 3. All of these possibilies will occur in all different ways.

But, you shouldn't really care about what happens in any specific tourney you are playing in. As long as you play well and go FTW, these numbers will sort themselves out.

You should think about your play and mindset on the bubble and in late stages of tournaments. Reflect on your game, and don't reflect too much on your stats. I'm sure that everyone goes through stages where they may not be thinking properly on the bubble for a variety of reasons. The key is to play well, and always feel confident that things are going to work out if you make the right plays...no matter what happens.
Old 03-08-2007, 06:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
alright, ROI = 145% and top 3 = 13%, but top 3 is skewed from playing alot of smaller fields like the 45 persons on Fulltilt... would you guys say these numbers are alright?

[/ QUOTE ]

The 45 person tourneys on FT are a different animal from the large MTTs. While I track them, I track them independent from large-field MTTs because they skew the percentage of ITM, ROI and Top 3% so greatly.

However, I would not take them out of my my rotation because they are profitable and reduce overall variance. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

How many MTTs have you played and have stats for?
Old 03-08-2007, 06:59 PM

98 total tourneys, 22 of which are the 45 persons, and 7 qualifiers for larger events. So, about a 3rd of them are larger fields. I'm going to start seperating the 45s from the rest of my tourneys and keep track like that from now on.
thanks
Old 03-08-2007, 07:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Having a high ITM% might actually be an indication that you are playing too tight on the bubble and that you are sacrificing a shot at final tabling in order to make sure that you cash

[/ QUOTE ]

And that is precisely why my ITM is near 25%, and yet I'm not a winning player (excepting for my 2nd in a $14k guarantee that took place months before FTP started being reflected in OPR). Trying to work on that....

Great analogy. By that definition, I am Rod Carew. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-08-2007, 08:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
98 total tourneys, 22 of which are the 45 persons, and 7 qualifiers for larger events. So, about a 3rd of them are larger fields. I'm going to start seperating the 45s from the rest of my tourneys and keep track like that from now on.
thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

your sample size is unbelievably small and incredibly useless. play at least 500 mtt's (not 45-player sng's) for meaningful statistics