Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2007, 06:53 PM

Default NL25 QQ turns set - how to extract

Villian was tight and agressive but not out of line.

I wondered what to do on the turn. I would have loved to check here as villian was a player likely to float if I show the slightest signs of weakness and a check-raise would have bought me a whole lot of opportunities to exercise pot control in subsequent hands.

I didn't want to allow him to check behind with a flush draw, though, so I made this pathetic turn bet hoping to incite him to come over the top. Usually these types of "compromise" bet sizes are a bad idea and I suspect that this hand is no exception.

Full Tilt Poker
$0.10/$0.25 No Limit Hold'em Ring Game
6 Players
LegoPoker Hand Converter

<font color="black">Stack Sizes</font>
BB: $25.65
UTG: $51.85
MP: $21
CO: $31.75
BTN: $12.25
Hero (SB): $24.9

<font color="black">Preflop:</font> Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($0.35, 6 players)
<font color="red">UTG raises to $0.85</font>, MP folds, CO folds, BTN calls $0.85, <font color="red">Hero raises to $3.50</font>, BB folds, UTG calls $2.65, BTN folds

<font color="black">Flop:</font> 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($8.1, 2 players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $6</font>, UTG calls $6

<font color="black">Turn:</font> 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]] ($20.1, 2 players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $10</font>, UTG folds
Uncalled bet of $10 returned to Hero
Old 03-07-2007, 07:04 PM

Default Re: NL25 QQ turns set - how to extract

If you were only going to bet 10, I would have just checked. Ten probably wouldn't fold out the ace high flush draw ne ways..

with a 976 and two spades I would just bet 3/4 of the pot. What if he calls your bet and the 8 of spades peels off? Also, if you check and he checks and the 8 of spades peels off. Now you are stuck OOP with a VERY tough choice. I think a bigger bet on the turn will make your decisions easier. If you fold him out with a 10 dollar bet, he probably would take a free card on the turn and rep a draw that hits on the river, if he is a solid player.. Really depends on your reads.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:36 PM

This is a reraised pot though, I think a flush draw is an unlikely and on balance a check behind, followed by a 1/2 river bet gives you the best chance of getting paid off by something like JJ.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:42 PM

Nah, I think your turn bet is good here. If he has something decent he isn't going to fold. I doubt JJ folds for 1/2 pot here.

Against decent players there isn't alot you can do to extract value. If he has AK which seems likely you need an A or K to come on the river and even then he likely won't stack off with it.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:46 PM

I'd bet $12 on the turn.

Your play looks solid. You don't want any more cards coming, and maybe he'll screw up.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I doubt JJ folds for 1/2 pot here.

[/ QUOTE ]

He told me he had JJ afterwards and I don't have any reason to believe that this was a lie (he seemed sportsmanlike about it). So I guess against someone who is capable of folding JJ here there was no way to squeeze out extra value.