Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2007, 04:30 PM

Default Trip aces and I never raise

LOL I seem to getting a LAG rep here...but i submit for your consideration:

Live 7.50/15. villain in this hand is very aggro, but lays down easily to aggression. always bets draws when heads up or 3 handed. generally will keep aggression up on all 3 streets unless meets resistance.

i open AQo, folds to vilain who calls in BB.

flop AA4 two clubs. villain leads, i call. villain would not lead here with 44 or an A so either has PP or flush draw.

turn brick, villain leads, I call [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

river club, villains leads, I tank and call [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

in a heads up situation with my read im quite sure this play has most EV. anyone disagree?
Old 03-08-2007, 04:34 PM

Default Re: Trip aces and I never raise

These seems entirely reasonable and I would have played it the same way. This isn't LAG at all but good play.
Did you win?
Old 03-08-2007, 04:34 PM

Your line works, but if you suspect opponent is on a draw I think you have to raise the turn unless you're 100% sure opponent will bluff at the river when he misses. You want to extract money from the draw when you're ahead.
Old 03-08-2007, 04:39 PM

Well from just this hand your not looking very LAGGY, but maybe that was the point or sarcasm or something.

The smooth call on the flop is ok since your heads up and in position but the turn you have to raise, if you put him on a drawing hand make him pay for it, put in the bets when you have a big equity edge.

The river is an easy call but given the way you played it and your read i dont think you can raise.

So ya raise dammit on the turn!
Old 03-08-2007, 04:42 PM

Yeah,
Thinking about it more I probably raise the turn as well (considering he probably has club draw, Ace/little or small pocket pair) but other than that it is well played and I call for sure on the end.
Old 03-08-2007, 04:46 PM

yeah, my default is to raise turn, but after some deep thought:

what exactly is the point of raising the turn? if we raise the turn, we lose the villains bluff bet on the river, so we gain no BBs if he misses. if he hits, we lose the turn bet plus another river bet (or 2 if he checkraises, because i def wouldnt check behind trip aces even if a club fell). also, if villain has small PP we lose him on a turn raise as well.

it just seems like a losing play to me...sure sounds weird to say though [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 03-09-2007, 03:13 AM

You seem sure he'll bluff bet when he misses. You know villain better than we do, but this is far from guarantee.

You raise the turn because if he has a smaller ace, he'll call your raise and call again on the river - you make 1 extra bb. If he's on a draw you get 1 extra bb when you're ahead. If he has a pp, you may get 1 extra bb.
If you don't raise and he's on a draw and misses, you lose the extra bet on the turn and you don't get a guaranteed bluff on the river.
If he folds to your raise, you lose 1 bb on the end, but it's partially made up by him not drawing out on you.

It's also good for your table image.
Old 03-09-2007, 10:00 AM

You raise the turn because you want the club draw to pay more when behind. This is a combination problem, to me. You know that villain likely has a PP (99-22), AX (probably AJs-, AQo-), or XcXc where XX are probably connectors higher than 65 or gappers higher than 75 and 85. PPs will fold to a turn raise, while weaker A's and the flush draw will pay you off. There are quite a few more combos of flush draws and Aces than mid-small pocket pairs available. I like the flop, but I really think the turn needs a raise. Your equity on both streets is about 85%, but I think the turn raise gets looked up more often.

The river call is fine if you think villain won't three-barrel with weak unimproved PPs here. Taking those hands out gives you about 50% equity at the end, so a raise would be neutral EV. Given villain's description, though (the fact that he'll 3-barrel often), I think your equity is closer to 70%, because PPs are still in his range.
Old 03-09-2007, 01:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I tank and call

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, in a midlimit game. This made me chuckle.