Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2007, 10:21 AM

Default Made redundant today - Fresh start

So to cut a long story short i was made redundant today and am pretty down about it. £35K gone just like that.

I've got little desire to follow in the same line of work and have no idea what other profession to pursue.

Im considering playing online poker full time low - mid limit holdem. I am a winning player and have been playing 20hrs per week for over 12 months and done well out of it.

The problem i have with it is the isolation of being an online pro does not appeal one bit and is unhealthy imo to spend that much time on your own in front of a computer with no social interaction.

On the plus side being in england all the money i make is virtually tax free and feel 30 hrs a week would be sufficient to earn a decent enough income.

I'm stuck and have no idea what to do. For now i'm planning to go travelling for a month to try and figure it out.

What do you guys reckon?
Old 03-09-2007, 10:37 AM

Default Re: Made redundant today - Fresh start

To me the life of any poker pro isn't one to be envied.

1) Varience is tough if cards are your only source of income.

2) You'll probably also find that the tables are juicier online when you would normally be off work, so you probably won't be able to play poker online during the day and hang out at night. This might isolate you more

3) If you do decide to go back to a regular job, there may be a stigma associated with "professional poker player" when you put it on your CV. Most people just wouldn't understand.

Take some time and think about what you want to do. By all means, supplement your income during your job search with poker money, but be careful and fully consider any decision that would make poker your permanent vocation.