Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2006, 07:10 PM

Default Life Affecting Results...

The past week has been pretty sick. I recently met a chick who is super sweet, intelligent, sexy, etc. Anyway, I've literally been happier than I have been in a long time, and my results are clearly improving because of my improved mood and lifestyle.

Anyone else experience anything like this? I'm playing less, winning more, and even when things aren't going amazingly well while playing, I am doing better coping with variance. Is this standard, or am I just running hot enough that I wouldn't be unhappy regardless.

Thoughts? How does mood and lifestyle affect short-term results in your experience?

Vig
Old 08-23-2006, 07:12 PM

Default Re: Life Affecting Results...

you're probably playing your A game a lot longer than you normally maintain it, and probably running good.
Old 08-23-2006, 08:04 PM

Ok, fair enough. More to the point, do happy people make more money? Or are they just products of each other. More money = happier = playing better = continued positive results?

Vig
Old 08-24-2006, 08:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, fair enough. More to the point, do happy people make more money? Or are they just products of each other. More money = happier = playing better = continued positive results?

Vig

[/ QUOTE ]

The cat that wrote "Zen and the Art of Poker" and "The Tao of Poker" would answer "Yes".

And he's probably right. When things kind of fall into place in life everything goes a little better for you. You don't get cut off on the freeway, your boss isn't riding you about your cover sheets on your TPS reports, girlfriend is fun to be around, dog didn't chit in the house today, etc, etc.

No reason that some good, solid poker can't fit right in with the rest of your good, solid life.

On a side note, you can remove the "More Money" from your equation.
Old 08-24-2006, 02:40 PM

Yeah this happens with me at times... If there is a period of time that I'm very distracted from poker (work/life etc) and a lot of great things are going on (business is great, good times in the relationship etc) I will play much better poker. Another post talked about working out... feeling in good health by working out regularly. mixed with an ultra positive mental state and no major stressors turns into great poker for me.

So to answer the OP question, I think mood and lifestyle have a very significant impact on poker, in my experience at least.

F
Old 03-08-2007, 01:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The past week has been pretty sick. I recently met a chick who is super sweet, intelligent, sexy, etc. Anyway, I've literally been happier than I have been in a long time, and my results are clearly improving because of my improved mood and lifestyle.

Anyone else experience anything like this? I'm playing less, winning more, and even when things aren't going amazingly well while playing, I am doing better coping with variance. Is this standard, or am I just running hot enough that I wouldn't be unhappy regardless.

Thoughts? How does mood and lifestyle affect short-term results in your experience?

Vig

[/ QUOTE ]

Bump for scumbaggishness
Old 03-08-2007, 02:18 PM

There's little doubt in my mind that being unhappy/depressed hurts your results. So yes, I agree with your statement, but come at it from the perspective of a person who's usually happy, not one who's usually unhappy.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There's little doubt in my mind that being unhappy/depressed hurts your results. So yes, I agree with your statement, but come at it from the perspective of a person who's usually happy, not one who's usually unhappy.

[/ QUOTE ]

ROFLCOPTER
Old 03-09-2007, 06:48 AM

Yep, i wrote about the opposite of this, when your life is in a tail spin, and you have a mega tilt session, and only realise why after
Old 03-09-2007, 02:50 PM

Watch out dude, she might have cancer and you might end up asking for $$$ from BBV and then you might donk it all away (or not) and then you might get in a fight with her and she will tell us the truth (or not) and you will post screenshots and some will believe but most will be too sick of the whole thing already. You might get a customized "scumbag" title, and then it might be removed.
Beware dude.