Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2007, 01:40 PM

Default Fold equity

Yesterday 17 from the money I was BB (BB =4K)with about 39K behind my BB. I've been playing tight. The last 2 hands I showdowned was A9s & AJo. I did raise b4 flop recently twice * everyone folded. Now it was folded around to the button (66K). He bet 12K. SB folds. Figured button was stealing. There was 19 to 20K in the pot (don't remember the ante size). I pushed.
Now I have a few questions. 1) do I really have enough chips to get him to fold? 2) If not, what is the least amount to have to get him to fold? 3) What range of hands do you need to call that push if ur the button? 4) If mathamatically it is right to call the psuh does it make strategic sense to call off 2/3 of ur stack?
Old 03-04-2007, 01:45 PM

Default Re: Fold equity

just estimating the maths the pot would be 59K after yo push. so he would have to call 29K. personally getting 2 to 1 i would basically call your push with almost any two.
Old 03-04-2007, 04:27 PM

Bump
Old 03-04-2007, 04:37 PM

1) No
2) ~60
3) Any 2 he would have raised with, it's possible you get him to lay down lower SC's here, because it is most of his stack and if you have a decent PP he isnt getting anywhere near the odds he needs to call...
4) If he folds he is baisically in your shoes before the hand started, If he wins (and he is getting the right odds to attempt it most likely) he will have >100K, and if he loses he is down to ~20K but certainly not eliminated... Basically you have nearly no FE... unless villian is a scared player... he is going to call you here...
Old 03-04-2007, 04:45 PM

So based on my quick math, to have good FE u need about 3x the pot. Is that fairly accurate? Or roughly 15 BB's before ur push. I'm thinking BB + SB + 3BB bet + antes=SB = pot.
So does that also mean that if you are 1st to enter then you need at least 6BB's to really have any good FE?
Old 03-04-2007, 04:47 PM

Quick request: Can we stop typing like we're texting?
Old 03-04-2007, 04:51 PM

Ya, thats fairly accurate... If you shoved for 60K here then villian would have to call 48K into a pot of 74K (+w/e the antes are)... so your are denying him 2-1 odds he would want to have in order to make this call easy on him... It would also basically put him all in... the 2 combined would have given you nice FE here... But as is he is very unlikely to fold...

Side Note - The dynamics of this change based on the stage of the tourney and the tendancies of the table but I think that 15BB when villian raises to 3x could be an easy quick reference quide... I am usually examining more things myself but I think that may work well for you as a sorta benchmark...