Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Sports Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2007, 02:32 AM

Default Betting tips for March Madness

I've always enjoyed March Madness, but this will be my first year actually betting on the games.

For those of you who have been there, it would be nice if you share your past experience as bettors and could give us some tips.

Or if you're a newbie like me and would like to ask some questions, this is the thread to do it.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-01-2007, 08:37 PM

Default Re: Betting tips for March Madness

Come on guys, It's not like your lines are going to change if you share some insights.

Jesus, tough forum.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Come on guys, It's not like your lines are going to change if you share some insights.

Jesus, tough forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not tough at all. The problem is your question is analogous to going into SSNL and asking for some tips on playing no limit hold'em. Where do you start?

My only insight is to bet at a book with reduced vig (Matchbook, Cascade, etc) and also to pound props. If you're betting in a B&M, you can't do much about betting with reduced vig.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not tough at all.

The problem is your question is analogous to going into HSNL and asking for some tips on playing no limit hold'em. Where do you start?

My only insight is to bet at a book with reduced vig (Matchbook, Cascade, etc) and also to pound props. If you're betting in a B&M, you can't do much about betting with reduced vig.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-02-2007, 12:11 PM

cannot one do well simply by taking all the big dogs ATS?
I thought I read that somewhere, but it's not coming to me now.

I know in football, one can do quite well just taking the dog in every 7+ point spread bowl game. However, I thought the reason that works in football is most huge favs in bowl games are less motivated than the dog. That shouldn't happen in tourney time.
Old 03-02-2007, 12:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Historically, that is true in recent years. Even a really good Duke/UNC/UK team favored by 36 isn't always interested in covering. And a 20-pt dog like Albany is occasionally beating UConn with 11 to play [by 12 points!].

Plus, you often get 1 10-pt dog upset a year or so, Creighton, NW St, etc.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I appreciate the insight Homer, but I don't know what exactly this has to do with the March College Basketball tourney, I mean your advise it's more for general sports betting, using a reduced vig book help you with any kind of bet, right?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Historically, that is true in recent years. Even a really good Duke/UNC/UK team favored by 36 isn't always interested in covering.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the reply MTTR and ND, this is what I want for you bettors with experience in this tourney, to give us some hints about trends, betting patterns, teams to choose, specifically related to March Madness.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:25 PM

This will be my first year betting March Madness as well.

I guess I would say to be weary of teams that have to travel far, regardless of seed. If some east coast team has to go to Idaho or California to play, it is a pain in the ass. I mean, these teams find out their match-up on Sunday night, and then they only have 3-4 days to travel, get all of the info on the opposition (watch film, etc.), and to practice. A long trek complicates this rushed process even further.

Also, in neutral court games (games not near either team's home town), the longer the perceived underdog sticks around, the more that the neutral fans will back them.
Old 03-03-2007, 01:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I appreciate the insight Homer, but I don't know what exactly this has to do with the March College Basketball tourney, I mean your advise it's more for general sports betting, using a reduced vig book help you with any kind of bet, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct, it is just general advice. I didn't understand exactly what you were looking for. Even the advice of betting dogs and under, while true, is general advice that doesn't apply only to March Madness.
Old 03-03-2007, 02:12 AM

Yeah, I dunno about the travel. 4 days is plenty of time to go from New York to Idaho or LA, I mean, these are 19-yr olds, they stay up later than that on a regular night. Pls provide from stats if you have them.