Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2007, 05:46 AM

Default Any HU LO8 players on FTP here?

Just wondering. I've been playing a lot of it lately, and most of the opponents are really predictable.
Old 02-27-2007, 06:43 PM

Default Re: Any HU LO8 players on FTP here?

50-100 and below is generally populated by the easiest kind of player to beat, those have a modicum of ability and are substantially emotionally invested in that ability. They are therefore resistant to any idea that an opponent at that level can be better than them, and if that opponent plays in a style they are unused to, or makes plays that they cant immediately grasp, they will never consider the possibility of investigating this further and instead simply write that opponent off as a fish, donkey, or any of several other animals. They are usually not shy about expressing these beliefs in the chatbox either, especially when things arent going so well for them, which of course stems from their emotional investment - extreme susceptibility to tilt if things dont immediately go their way.

100-200 and above, the headsup tables are generally populated by people skilled at the nunances of headsup itself, as well as at the specific mechanics of hilo. They are highly comfortably rolled for the limits they play, quite experienced, and therefore far less likely to be off their game when you begin a session, and far harder to throw off their game during a session. I have seen soft SHhilo games going at all limits I play, 30-60 thru 200-400, but those are generally three or four handed at a ring table and built around a particular mark - I consider it a very rare event if I happen across someone sitting waiting at an empty HU table who I consider to be weak.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
50-100 and below is generally populated by the easiest kind of player to beat, those have a modicum of ability and are substantially emotionally invested in that ability. They are therefore resistant to any idea that an opponent at that level can be better than them, and if that opponent plays in a style they are unused to, or makes plays that they cant immediately grasp, they will never consider the possibility of investigating this further and instead simply write that opponent off as a fish, donkey, or any of several other animals. They are usually not shy about expressing these beliefs in the chatbox either, especially when things arent going so well for them, which of course stems from their emotional investment - extreme susceptibility to tilt if things dont immediately go their way.

100-200 and above, the headsup tables are generally populated by people skilled at the nunances of headsup itself, as well as at the specific mechanics of hilo. They are highly comfortably rolled for the limits they play, quite experienced, and therefore far less likely to be off their game when you begin a session, and far harder to throw off their game during a session. I have seen soft SHhilo games going at all limits I play, 30-60 thru 200-400, but those are generally three or four handed at a ring table and built around a particular mark - I consider it a very rare event if I happen across someone sitting waiting at an empty HU table who I consider to be weak.

[/ QUOTE ]

You seriously need to read some of George Orwell's articles on how the English language is supposed to be written.

And LMAO @ 50-100 and below consisting of the easiest players to beat.

LOL.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:22 AM

I am quite fond of the sound of my own voice and that may come across in the way I write, but you have to laugh at someone who criticises literary style by the use of internet abbreviations. When the most you can muster by way of eloquent criticism is a series of capital letters, you might want to be a little less scathing. I really wish I could share my real or online names to put an end to this foolishness immediately, but as it is I shall simply remind myself of the old maxim that those who know, don't tell, and vice versa. Oh, and by way of a parting shot, I was considered one of the best players in the stars 30 game back when sh hilo began to come into vogue and first db, then mrrobbert were somehow crushing all comers, I was probably the biggest winner in that same game last week when I briefly returned, and I've played and beaten all the regulars at fulltilt up to 100-200, where my results become more mixed, though still profitable overall. I don't suppose it entered your mind that, while the idea that certain games are easily beatable is laughable to you, it is not to others?

Never mind, I'm sure you know best. You can, after all, use capital letters in place of actual words. You're clearly on to something.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:15 PM

Easily beatable?

Maybe I should mortgage the house and give it a run.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:32 PM

"Never mind, I'm sure you know best. You can, after all, use capital letters in place of actual words. You're clearly on to something."

OHHHHHHHHHHH!!! SNAP!!

Hey, what's the big deal with giving out what your name is on the online sites? Scared somebody will get mad at you and come gunning for you resulting in a greater net gain??? Laugh out loud.

Not that I, or anybody else cares, BUT, mentioning all of your accomplishments and then not attaching a name to said accomplishments really sucks all believability right out of it. You might as well have not even mentioned any of that.

Anyway, I'm not defending Tx here. He probably should not have started his post off with an insult. I'm assuming he unintentionally felt challenged and/or insulted by your comments. He probably could have asked you to be more specific on why you felt that way.

In any event, your impending slap fight is not going to help the original poster OR ANYBODY ELSE that's reading this wanting to know more about Heads Up on FTP.

If you guys want to argue like little kids, take it to the low content thread. If you want to talk about how you're mega radical because you play the highest stakes and destroy all of your competition take it to BBV. This thread is not a member measuring contest. Your skill and knowledge level will be apparent in your HELPFUL posts.

I'm sorry I had to make this post.

For anybody that would like to know who I am online, I'm "GoneForever" on Stars and "ClipperJockey" on FTP. You can find me at the $.01/$.02 PLO8 tables PWNING donkeys at a rate of $.63/hour. Come holla.

My feets itches.

G O N E F O R E V E R
Old 02-28-2007, 12:46 PM

Why are we killing this new poster for sharing an opinion? Are we better off scaring him away? It would seem obvious that listing one's accomplishments in order to lend credibility to his opinion makes sense, particularly after he's been questioned; while at the same time protecting one's on-line identity is not unreasonable. It also seems that this poster might be someone who would be good to have around.

ManInArena, I liked your post and hope you'll continue posting. I know little about HU play, never do it, and am interested whenever anyone with half a brain discusses strategy, which is understandably rare.
Old 02-28-2007, 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ManInArena, I liked your post, hope you'll continue posting, and would like to service you.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 02-28-2007, 01:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why are we killing this new poster for sharing an opinion? Are we better off scaring him away? It would seem obvious that listing one's accomplishments in order to lend credibility to his opinion makes sense, particularly after he's been questioned; while at the same time protecting one's on-line identity is not unreasonable. It also seems that this poster might be someone who would be good to have around.

ManInArena, I liked your post and hope you'll continue posting. I know little about HU play, never do it, and am interested whenever anyone with half a brain discusses strategy, which is understandably rare.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm. Maybe it backfired. I was trying to prevent him from getting flamed for no apparent reason and having an argument get out of hand. Niss I completely agree with you.

ManIn, PLEASE PLEASE don't let this stop you from posting here. We need as many people as we can get here. 40% of what I say is geared towards entertaining people and making them laugh. Sometimes it comes off wrong. I was trying to make it clear that I wasn't picking sides and I wasn't dogging your accomplishments. I was simply stating that you didn't have to list them off to be credible.

Niss, you and I think alike. We maybe just have different ways of trying to accomplish the same things.

Hope I cleared everything up. All I want is some intelligent conversation about a game we all love. That's my main goal and it always will be.

Now, if we all could please just get back to the subject of ths thread, that'd be rockin. I'll start.

ManIn, how many hours would you say you've played at each of the levels you mentioned? Is it possible that variance at the 50-100 and under levels could have played a factor?
What would you say is the major quality you need to have in order to consistantly win at HU? Finally, when playing HU do you prefer Limit, PL, or NL?.... not that there's a whole lot of game selection out there.

G O N E F O R E V E R
Old 02-28-2007, 03:04 PM

I play 8-16 and 15-30 hu lo8. I'm also usually sitting at the 8-16/15-30 HO table (it's a 6max table, but nobody plays over there so when I get a game going, it's usually hu).

My main game is NLHE but I have a lot of HU experience which I think has translated to my success in hu o8, although I still have a lot of room for improvement.