Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2007, 01:38 AM

Default Where does this year (2007) in sports rank?

I know we're only in the first week of October. But I am trying to put into perspective a year (so far) in which we have seen so many unbelievable accomplishments, so many incredible moments and games...

My knowledge is really limited to American sports (though I do occasionally watch sports I don't actively follow), so I'm not sure if this question can really be quantified. But, I'm hoping that it can at least spark some discussion.

But think about it...

This year in college football (so far), we have the Fiesta Bowl on New Year's Day with Boise State's win over Oklahoma, among one of the most exciting games in the history of the game.

Then Appalachian St beats Michigan on the opening week (among one of the biggest upsets in the history of the game), Notre Dame starts 0-5 (but beat UCLA this week), five top 10 teams lost in the same week, and now Stanford as a 40+ point underdog beat No. 2 USC at the Coliseum (also among one of the biggest upsets in the history of the game).

In baseball,
Barry Bonds broke the home run record
Sammy Sosa hit #600
Alex Rodriguez, Frank Thomas, Jim Thome (in walk-off fashion) all hit #500
Craig Biggio with his 3000th hit
Trevor Hoffman with his 500th save
Greg Maddux with 20 consecutive seasons of 10 wins or more
John Smoltz becoming the first pitcher to have 200 wins and 150 saves
Tom Glavine's 300th win
Roger Clemens's 350th win

And THEN you have the crazy run by the Phillies/Mets losing a 7 game lead with 17 to play for the NL East and the Rockies/Padres 1-game playoff game for the wild card.

And the Rockies and Diamondbacks in the NLCS.

Tiger Woods started the year winning his 7th straight PGA event, then ended up winning his second straight PGA championship, won the FedEx cup, and went 1st, 1st, 2nd, 1st, 1st in his last five tournaments.

In basketball,
That run Kobe Bryant had with four straight 50-point games, and ten in one season.

In football,
Brett Favre passed Dan Marino on career TDs and career pass attempts and passed John Elway on the all-time wins list.

In the IndyCar series, the championship came down to the last lap of the last race, with the two point leaders going 1-2, and Scott Dixon running out of gas with less than a lap to go to give Dario Franchitti the championship.

I know there is a lot more than this. I know I'm missing some things.

But there have been so many moments this year where I just sit there and go "wow" or "unbelievable". I'm trying to think of where this year fits compared to other years in sports history.

Of course, I'm not old enough to know these years, but...

What was it like in 1941 when Joe DiMaggio went on his 56-game hitting streak, and when Ted Williams hit .406, when Whirlaway won the Triple Crown and the first Billy Conn-Joe Louis fight?

What was it like in 1978 when Affirmed won the Triple Crown, when Spinks beat Ali, then Ali beat Spinks later that year, during the New York/Boston pennant race/one-game playoff?

What was it like in 1961 when Roger Maris and Mickey Mantle went on their summer-long home run chase of Ruth, and then Maris broke it on the last day of the season?

Where does this year fit in terms of accomplishments? Where does this year fit in terms of "wow" factor or significance?

Can this even be quantified?

Regardless, this has been one hell of a year in sports.
Old 10-07-2007, 01:55 AM

Default Re: Where does this year (2007) in sports rank?

LeBron James's 25 points in a row game against the Pistons has got to be on there, it was one of the most memorable moments in sports this year for me.
Old 10-07-2007, 01:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
LeBron James's 25 points in a row game against the Pistons has got to be on there, it was one of the most memorable moments in sports this year for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right. Absolutely one of those "wow" moments.
Old 10-07-2007, 01:59 AM

Good year, indeed, but I predict (G)A(Y)-Rod comes out of closet next year in a mind-blowing 2008. Cannot wait to hear who is the lucky guy!!!