Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2007, 08:34 AM

Default Real ID Act Deadline Pushed Back to 2009, let\'s push back UIGA too...

http://www.govtech.net/news/news.php?id=...m_content=story

Partial quote from the above article:

One of the issues most debated about the Real ID act was its addition to the larger "Emergency Supplemental Appropriations Act for Defense, the Global War on Terror, and Tsunami Relief Act."

"Real ID was stuffed into the supplemental appropriations bill for Hurricane Katrina and the troops in Iraq, so of course we had to vote for the bill," said Senator Lamar Alexander of Tennessee, yesterday. "But we had no chance to amend it -- no debate, no hearing, and no consideration of other alternatives. And now we impose on the states an $11 billion unfunded mandate ... I would say we wouldn't be doing our job if we didn't stop and think about what we've done."

Could we use the above arguments to push back the UIGA?

Let's contact the banking lobby and see if they would try the above argument. The UIGA was an unfunded mandate that hurts banks, businesses, and Americans so the [censored] in Congress could feel good about 'protecting the children'.
Old 03-02-2007, 01:38 PM

Default Re: Real ID Act Deadline Pushed Back to 2009, let\'s push back UIGA too

Well I know this won't be a popular opinion, but the Real ID is much more of a travesty than the UGIEA, so it should be pushed back or overturned (as should the UGIEA, but I would again say the Real ID shoudl take precedence.)
Old 03-02-2007, 02:27 PM

Definitely an interesting thought... good post.
Old 03-02-2007, 03:33 PM

What good will pushing back the writing of the regulations do?

They haven;t written them yet and already over 50% of the online sites have shut down business, neteller and all oher e-wallets have shut their doors.

The damage is already done. Everyone who is going to adhere to the act already has.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:09 AM

Default Re: Real ID Act Deadline Pushed Back to 2009, let\'s push back UIGA too...

I almost think a delay could be a bad thing. At least if they write up the regulations and they turn out to be minimal/toothless, there's a chance a few sites or payment processors might creep back into the picture. If we stay in our current "gray area" for a few more years, there's no chance of improvement. (Of course it's also possible the regs will be a total disaster for us and we'll lose PS/FT/etc., but I don't think this is likely.)