Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2007, 07:44 AM

Default successful lags ...

i was looking at the stats from the top ft players and they all run like 32/26. how can someone be so damn good at playing this type of style. it just seems insaine to me. any thoughts guys.
Old 02-25-2007, 12:34 PM

Default Re: successful lags ...

NL cash games, right? Maybe NL 6-Max?

Hand reading skills. Mad hand reading skills.
Old 02-27-2007, 05:43 AM

Actually I've also noticed that. I'm not sure.

But i have a guess (and if someone can comment I'll be glad): i think it's their aggressiveness. It's gives them much more information than a rock would get.

I think their betting and raising (not small ones but relatively large ones) makes a lot of people fold who has the better hand. And if someone reraises then they can clearly make an easy call as they know you have the nuts. And I also have a hunch that it happens much more that people bet into them when they do hit the nuts, coz people put their hand range much wider.

I think it's much more important to have position on LAggs than TAggs.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:57 AM

If they are playing 6max NL then they are not maniac stats AFAIK. I'm not exactly ultra lag and I average out at c.30/16. And I sure don't have good hand reading skills. Or indeed any hand reading skills.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:35 AM

The better you get the more you realize preflop play is a very minor part of overall winnings. The most telling difference between decent players and truly good players is in the postflop play. The reason most authors advocate tighter preflop play is to keep donks like me away from difficult to play hands postflop, seeing as how I simply don't have the skill required to play these sorts of hands well. The best players obviously have great postflop skills and they purposely see more flops with larger pots (from preflop raises) than most of us to allow their biggest asset to pay off.
Old 02-27-2007, 06:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it's much more important to have position on LAggs than TAggs.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is like saying that Golden Deliscious apples taste more appley than Red Deliscious apples.

[ QUOTE ]
i think it's their aggressiveness. It's gives them much more information than a rock would get.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mostly it's about fold equity, not information. The smart LAGs already have the most important information: they know that you are inclined to fold. They know that you can't beat them without the best hand. And a damn good hand, at that.
Old 03-01-2007, 05:04 PM

@grunch, yeah you may be right

But jordiepop, i have ur answer! do the following with your stats. I'm new and didn't know this, but perhaps other people did. Take their Saw Flop % and divide it by their WonHands%. it comes to 3. it was quiet interesting. the deviation on that was about 0.7

so even if they play more hands, they win more hands. here's a chart [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-02-2007, 12:04 AM

Bolinger bands please
Old 03-02-2007, 01:48 AM

why? Bolinger bands goes over a period of time. there's no time there. x is just the number of players.
Old 03-02-2007, 02:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Bolinger bands goes over a period of time. there's no time there. x is just the number of players.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bollinger bands go above and below the price chart. His comment was right, you aren't. Plus his Bollinger comment was funny...