Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2007, 02:00 PM

Default How Can I Pass This Up? (maserati test drive promotion)

Somehow I have gotten a card in the mail with an offer to test drive a Maserati Quattroporte and in exchange, I get a $100 gift certificate to Fleming's Steakhouse. Is there a downside to this? (I have committed no felonies that I am aware of, unless the feds are rounding up all online poker players, so let's eliminate that outstanding warrant theory.) I really can't see buying a $120,000 car, EVER, so any sales pressure is bound to have no effect, so it's just sounds like fun. My wife is concerned we'll crash the car, but a six speed automatic 400 hp V8 sure has potential.

Anyone else get something like this? How's Fleming's? A chain, I know, but worth it for free? There's gotta be a catch, but somehow I'm not seeing it.

ED: edited title.
Old 02-06-2007, 02:14 PM

Default Re: How Can I Pass This Up?

You were somehow flagged as a potential buyer of $120,000 cars (probably due to outstanding credit or a very high income).

Read the fine print. If everything looks legit, go for it.
Old 02-06-2007, 02:22 PM

Mon,

I've done offers like this before. No catch.

It's basically just paying you $100 for your time to take a test drive. No different than getting a gift certificate to go listen to a timeshare pitch.

I guess the catch really is that you're gonna spend x amount of your time before and after the short test drive in exchange for a $100 gift certificate. I doubt it would be worth it to you if that were it. But since you actually want to drive the car and it's something you might not have a chance to do otherwise, that could make this worth it to you.

A lot of times in these things they set up some sort of test track as well, which can be very cool.

Trip report, please!
Old 02-06-2007, 02:40 PM

Mon,

I would try and talk them into letting you take the coupe for a spin instead. Much better looking IMO. A trip report would be killer.
Old 02-06-2007, 03:00 PM

There's a trophy wife I occasionally see driving one around my neighborhood. I got a good look (at both) at the gas station awhile back. It's a beautiful car inside and out.
Drive a Maserati, take wifey to nice dinner, maybe a little some'em some'em. Downside?
Old 02-06-2007, 03:12 PM

You must be a real baller to be getting this in the mail.

No downside. Trip report with pics would be cool.

There is most likely no catch. If they get one sale in every 5,000 (note: number pulled out of my ass) then they probably easily pay for the cost of the mailing (the gift cards probably cost the car company nothing because Flemings wants to get new customers and it is most likely a joint promotion.
Old 02-06-2007, 04:18 PM

this happens a lot with time share properties. They subject you to a hard-sell, which you politely decline, and you continue to go about enjoying your weekend.
Old 02-06-2007, 04:44 PM

Probably a $20k pact in each car. So if they get 200 people in the door and sell one, they break even.

This is a very nice car with great ability for customization.

Here is a North American Configurator (Build your own): Maserati Quattroporte

I believe this car was featured in the show "Entourage". I think he gave away the car at some party (the lease had like 6 months left) after he found out "Aquaman" set the record.

BTW, definitely drive this car. You will feel the sales pitch from at least 2 people (liner and closer) but, it shouldn't be to high stress because of the nature of the salesmen at a highline store. Please drive this and give a Trip Report.

FYC
Old 02-06-2007, 04:47 PM

Absolutely do this.

Bonus fun --- Show up in a checkered coat with an ascot along with a cigarette holder. Pictures are must.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:43 PM

My friends and I were on our way to get lunch (Border Cafe in Harvard Square, very nice Tex/Mex type place) and set up in the parking lot across the street was a Scion promo. Ended up that all three of us took a test drive at the same time (Just sat in passenger seat and back) while he drove literally around one block, <5 minute. We each got a $30 gift cert. to the restaraunt we were going to anyways. So we got a huge lunch with tons of margaritas in exchange for taking a 5 minute ride and then filling out a 5 question survey.

PS- Make sure that you actually get to drive the car, not just be a passenger is such is important to you.