Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2007, 12:18 PM

Default Quit smoking again this year....Need suggs. and encouragement

Ok, so last year I quit smoking for NY's and I did great. Did the patch. And I was a happy non-smoker for about 9 months. In September of '06 I hit some really really stressful situations and I started up again. So I've only been smoking again for a short time.

I quit for NY's this year. Well I smoked yesterday, and today is my first day. I just stocked up on a TON of gummy things and some smarties. I'm going to make it a point to exercise when I get home a bit. And maybe play lots of solitaire to keep my hands busy.

Someone, and I cant remember who, suggested I get a jar w/ a lid and put a bunch of butts into it. Empty an ashtray in there. Pour a little water in. And whenever I want one, just open up the jar and smell it. I can imagine this being gross enough to work. So if it comes to it, I'm going to give it a shot.

I'm also sans the patch this time. Mostly because I dont have the money. But it gave me a rash when I wore it last. Just seeing if I can do it cold turkey.

Anyone else quit smoking? Got any suggestions, or words of encouragement for those of us out there trying to quit?
Old 01-02-2007, 12:31 PM

Default Re: Quit smoking again this year....Need suggs. and encouragement

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone else quit smoking? Got any suggestions, or words of encouragement for those of us out there trying to quit?

[/ QUOTE ]

It is tough. I tried a number of times before I finally quit - without even really planning it. A few years ago I picked up a real nasty flu, one where you are down and out for 2 weeks. I could not smoke at all during this time. When I started to recover I found an old deck of smokes with one left. It had been about ten days since I had smoked so I figured why not. I threw the deck up onto the dash of my car and decided to see how long I could go without smoking it. Days turned into weeks and that was the end of my smoking habit. For reference I had been smoking since Grade 9 and quit shortly after I graduated from university.

I guess the long lay off due to the illness got me over what would normally be the tough part. However you choose to go about it, good luck.

Cliff's Notes: Get a wicked virus.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:37 PM

I don't think the gummis and smarties are a good idea...snacking on empty calories is just another bad habit. Get some gum.

~AS
Old 01-02-2007, 12:38 PM

Sometimes I smoke in my apt. I use a diet coke bottle with some diet coke in it for an ashtray. Yesterday I had another one liter of diet coke next to it. I grabbed the ashtray one and took a sip. It just hit my tounge and then I felt like I wanted to ralph, rinsed with water for a while, etc. I m hoping that memory will last me a year. . .
Old 01-02-2007, 12:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think the gummis and smarties are a good idea...snacking on empty calories is just another bad habit. Get some gum.

~AS

[/ QUOTE ]

I weight 108lbs. I'm not worried.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:42 PM

Good luck Tenn, I know you can do it.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:45 PM

tenn,

I did it with the nicorette gum ~7 years ago. I used the original, nasty ass flavor and I think that helped. I had transferred a cigarette addiction to a gum one but the gum tasted so terrible, I was highly motivated to break the gum addiction. I also only chewed the gum when I really had a craving and did not drink very much.

J
Old 01-02-2007, 12:47 PM

Something that helped me was keeping chocolate cookies available. I can't stand the taste of cigarettes and chocolate mixed together. And you are skinny enough where putting on a few pounds in the process isn't gonna kill you.

Apparently I must have run out of Oreos, though. My 10 week smoke-free stretch ended about 15 years ago. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] I'm sure you hate yourself enough for blowing a 9 month ride but you are still young. Time goes by fast so tough it out now so you don't suffer the regret later.

BTW, when you quit cigs did you still smoke weed? If so- did you feel like you cheated when you did?
Old 01-02-2007, 12:47 PM

I quit using the patch in 2001, stayed off for about a year, started smoking in social situations, then one or two a day at work, etc. Soon back to 3/4 pack a day. Last year (2006) quit again(Feb.), so far no relapse and I know I will never smoke again.

I needed the patch. To save a little money buy the full strength ones and cut them in half or even quarters. Take them off at night and change locations daily and the rash should be minimal.

All of my wife's family are heavy smokers. As we are all getting older watching them have heart and stroke issues has been a strong incentive to quit. My mother in law sufferred a stroke in September and has quit after 40 years of smoking. If she can do it you can too.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

BTW, when you quit cigs did you still smoke weed? If so- did you feel like you cheated when you did?

[/ QUOTE ]

I still do, and did then. Nope, didnt feel like I was cheating. It takes the edge off. And I'm not smoking weed all the time. So I dont consider it cheating I guess.