Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 02:02 PM

Default ICM questions

Hi

Wasn't sure where to put this topic, but since ICM is especially important in SNGs I thought I post it here. If I'm wrong, feel free to move it @ admins [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Ok I've downloaded the SNGWizard, read some ICM tutorials and stuff and now I'm always taking the SNGWiz quiz. I usually go through 20 examples and have most of the time 14-17 correct answers.

I always look at the analysis sheet and some hands I understand why I acted wrong some I don't. Just to sum it up: What does the ICM tell you? Here is what I think I've learned so far, please correct me if I'm wrong and give me further advice.

1. Push or fold gets important as soon as my stack drops to 10BB
2. In Heads up, almost everything is worth to push (since even if I loose I have i.e. 30% equity in a Full tilt SNG)
3. Only call a push, if you're last (or late) to act, a big stack and have some decent cards (suited, any pairs, connectors...)

What else do I have to lookout for? If I'm a big stack at a table with let's say 3-4 players left, should I almost always go all in (even if my stack of course is bigger than 10BB) to put the small stacks under pressure?
Old 02-26-2007, 02:09 PM

Default Re: ICM questions

Seems like you are on the right track, remember that getting the most out of ICM involves accurately putting opponents on ranges - not what they *should* call with, what they WILL call with!!

Awareness of stack sizes and position of them relative to you (and each other) also factors in.

One more - do not worry about pushing >10 BBs if your opponent only has 6 (for example), you effective stack here can not be larger than the biggest stack you are pushing into.

I;m sure there is lots more...

Cheers, Mark
Old 02-26-2007, 02:24 PM

2) With a small stack (say <10) heads-up) you can push possibly all hands, but you can do so because the player behind you is likely to have a worse hand than the player with the best hand behind you when there are more than one player behind you.

3) While late position and having a big stack should make you more willing to call (the big stack being the most important factor), there are of course many situations where either or both of these are not present and still you should call.

The better your hand is, the more willing you should be to call. It seems from your post that you are overvalueing suited cards and connected cards.

The answer to your last question is yes.
Old 02-26-2007, 03:47 PM

Are there any past posts that explain ICM in detail? I would really like to get a solid understanding on this topic and was wondering if anyone could suggest different things I should read.
Thanks
Old 02-26-2007, 04:22 PM

Check the stickies
Old 02-26-2007, 04:52 PM

i would search all of slim pickens' post, find anything he says about ICM or anything related, and memorize it.
Old 02-26-2007, 05:03 PM

There are been a lot of posts on this very subject recently. Please see the FAQ on how to conduct a search.

Locked.
Closed Thread